Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

March 14th, 2010 12:00

Who has a functioning 1558?

Hello community, as I have traveled these posts in search of why my new Studio 1558 shuts off in 30 minutes of internet use into safe mode and fan blasting... I see I am not the only one.  

Can you tell me if anyone has a functioning 1558 or should I purchase a Mac?

Currently, I cannot use my new 5 day old computer at all and Dell is saying they will call me on Monday night to install BIOS A04 to fix my problem (why they wasn't done before shipping me the computer... that is unknown).    I don't trust this is the end of the story after my research, which I should have done more research before purchasing but... I TRUSTED Dell not to send me a broken computer.   Never again!

Disappointed,

Diane

Wndow 7 Home Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Premium

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4   NEW 2010 Intel® Core™ i3-350M 2.26GHz (3M cache)

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

BIOS A03

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4   Intel® HD Graphics

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4   4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4   1 Year Advance Exchange Warranty

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 14th, 2010 12:00

Depends - if you've your heart set on a Mac and are willing to pay more (and get less -- Apple hasn't yet released any Macbooks with the Core i3/5/7 CPUs), then go for it.

19 Posts

March 14th, 2010 13:00

Thanks!  You make a good point, but if I can't use the computer what good is having Core i3/5/7 CPU?  If a Mac is not a good purchase then what is?   Is there a better computer out there that one can recommend to this uneducated computer user?  I just want to use the internet and watch videos.   I don't have a TV.  

Thought I was getting a decent system that met what I wanted to do... but if I can't use this computer then what do I do?

Lost,

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Look for a Core 2 based system - these are better proven, without the teething problems of the new new Core i CPUs (there's a reason Apple hasn't released any yet, and I suspect it has to do with problems with power consumption - the CPUs are not as power efficient as Intel originally promised they would be).

There's nothing inherently wrong with a Mac - but statistically, there's also no difference in reliability between Dell and Apple, hardware-wise - and be sure you really WANT a Mac before buying one, since Apple doesn't offer a money-back guarantee the way Dell does.

12 Posts

heyyy... there's nothing wrong with the core i cpus... the cpus function perfectly normal, the problems are from the implementation of the cpus in system, because it's so new and it's very different from the Core 2 architecture, companies like Dell have not fully worked out the various bugs yet.

that being said, it is probably a good idea to wait another couple month before getting a laptop that has a core i CPU. Power consumption? the I3 and I5 are rated at 35w, thats with a gpu on chip. the Core 2 cpus are either 25w or 35w. So technically if Dell just kept the same cooling system from the Core2 (35w), the systems would be fine.

19 Posts

Well, I think I'm getting an education.  So this issue is related to the fact they are working with a core i CPU and they don't know how to integrate it into their system.  hmmmm...  bugs in a new field...  maybe I need to send the computer back... get my money back and purchase another computer later this year?  But then I take a chance all over again not knowing what I will get...

Striker, sounds like they could use you at Dell in customer relations.  I just hope this works out so I can have some peace in the computer world...

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 14th, 2010 14:00

I never made the claim that there is anything inherently wrong with the new i CPUs, but Intel made a flood of last minute changes - including to the power requirements -- and since Apple was a Core 2 launch customer it is curious that they've sat out the first round of these CPUs.  That makes me suspicious that Apple knew something that others may not have -- and that it's waiting for a while before releasing systems using these CPUs.

It would be far from the first time that paying customers did the final development work for Intel - they have a history of that (ask anyone who got stuck with one of the original Socket 423 Pentium4 CPUs, for one).

35 Posts

March 14th, 2010 22:00

I never made the claim that there is anything inherently wrong with the new i CPUs, but Intel made a flood of last minute changes - including to the power requirements -- and since Apple was a Core 2 launch customer it is curious that they've sat out the first round of these CPUs.  That makes me suspicious that Apple knew something that others may not have -- and that it's waiting for a while before releasing systems using these CPUs.

It would be far from the first time that paying customers did the final development work for Intel - they have a history of that (ask anyone who got stuck with one of the original Socket 423 Pentium4 CPUs, for one).

Apple is often behind on the CPU cycles. They do this for three main reasons. First and foremost, they request customizations to the processors on some of their products such as the Macbook Air. They may want additional things added or disabled, and waiting gives them more time to work with them. That leads to #2 which is the stability aspect. They get later binned processors which not only tend to have less problems, but they also start costing the manufacturer less because they are throwing away less. This leads to #3: A lower cost on the processor for Apple. It's kind of sad they charge so much for their systems considering the discounts they get and comparative performance to other company's laptops such as Dell's.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 15th, 2010 07:00

The extra cost of a Mac isn't in the hardware - it's in the service and support, which is head and shoulders above anything in the Windows world.

And Apple was a launch customer for the Core 2 chips - so something is up this time.

11 Posts

September 24th, 2010 06:00

my 1558 is working almost perfectly with an i7-720qm after a few months with updates and stuff. now my screen is getting blue stripes sometimes. i called dell tech support and they replaced my motherboard and graphics card. one week later same problem. they offer the same replacement with an i7-920 EXTREME EDITION! worth over 1000 euros/dollars.

look, every company has it own problems, so has dell.

but im satisfied about their customers service, i truly am.

No Events found!