Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

January 22nd, 2006 02:00

Why dies Device Monitor list thew monitor on my D810 as a Default Monitor

When I look in Device Manger the Adapter on my D810 is correctly identified, but the Monitor is listed as A Default monitor.  I see the same thing when I go to the display properties screen.  Is this correct?

18 Posts

January 22nd, 2006 04:00

This means the PC recognizes and can use your monitor, but it doesn’t identify the exact model of the monitor.  You need to install a driver. 

This link is for XP: Select it from: (Display devices).  Also while you are here, get any of the drivers here you do not have installed to properly update your D810. :smileywink:

You can get the driver for it here:http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=LATITUDE%20D810&os=WW1&osl=EN#

If you have a different version of windows

go here:http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?  and select yours from the list.

If you have a monitor other than Dell attached to your laptop, go to the manufactures site and look for the drivers for your particular model - 

Otter11

Message Edited by Otter11 on 01-22-2006 02:02 AM

January 22nd, 2006 05:00

Thank you.  I will check that out.  But just to be sure, let me clairify the fact that I am talking about the LCD monitor that is part of the D810 notebook PC.

Mel

18 Posts

January 22nd, 2006 08:00

OK, I misunderstood your message.  After checking, it seems that's normal.  Windows loads a standard driver for the LCD, which will list it as default.  If you go (bear with me here)

Display Properties/Advanced/Monitor/Properties and click the driver tab and then driver details button- (whew) it will say no drivers are needed or installed for this device.  Meaning the video card handles the LCD and it's functions.  It should say (on the main Display Properties page), Default Monitor on (your card I.D.) and C810.  You might check the driver details for your video card, and make sure they are loaded, in case I overlooked something here. Don't want to give you bad info. Also, Windows may load it's drivers for the card, and they are different then the card manufacturers in most cases.   The manufacturers are the best bet.  (It will say Microsoft on the driver page). If so, just get the card drivers on the second listing on my previous post.   Also,  (don't know if it matters) if you have an option in BIOS- (F2 at the Dell screen for mine) see if it has a listing for the monitor. (Third page on mine, Alt P to change pages) Mine has two options, System or Dock Video Card.  It should be on system if you don't use a Docking station.  -Otter

Message Edited by Otter11 on 01-22-2006 05:03 AM

January 22nd, 2006 13:00

OK.  Thank you for that info.

Mel

No Events found!