Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 25th, 2017 17:00

Why do LCD screens have WWAN, WLAN and WIGIG as an option.

Hello Support:

I have a presale question about a new latitude 5480.  I noticed when configuring under the LCD option I have a choice for WWAN, WLAN and WiGIG.  Considering the laptop will also come with a wireless card for 802.11, what purpose is the LCD screen with the WLAN as an option?  That seems redundant?   I appreciate your help.  -Bob

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 1st, 2017 11:00

There will always be a wifi antenna in the system.  There will ONLY be a Wimax or WWAN antenna if you order the system with the option.  There are different antennas in the system depending on the equipment - one antenna does not fit all applications.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 25th, 2017 18:00

The designation refers to the antenna -- there is different wiring for the different options, and it's routed around the LCD screen.

30 Posts

January 25th, 2017 19:00

So does that mean you have to order the screen with the WLAN option in order for the internal wireless card to work correctly?  That does not sound correct.  I must be missing something.    thanks  Bob

9.4K Posts

January 26th, 2017 04:00

Hi bob_m10,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information you may find helpful:

http://dell.to/2k6Upu2

http://dell.to/2k6Y0YU

For an explanation about the different screen types, click on the question mark in the advertisement:

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 26th, 2017 04:00

WLAN is the default.  It's that you must order the system with a WiGIG or WWAN antenna if you plan to use such a card -- or the required antenna won't be in the system.

30 Posts

January 26th, 2017 05:00

Actually if you look at the quick ships from the latitude 5480 WWAN is the default which I found interesting since most users will want WLAN connectivity.  -Bob

30 Posts

January 27th, 2017 03:00

Still confused on this, I understand that this selection designates the type of antenna in the LCD frame. Now  when you say WLAN is default, do you mean that no matter what options I select, lets take WiGIG for example, the included antenna will be compatible with WiGIG but also WLAN?  

30 Posts

February 1st, 2017 10:00

Anyone have further information on this? thanks  Bob

30 Posts

February 1st, 2017 12:00

Just so I understand, if you order the LCD with WWAN you will get WLAN and WWAN?  That makes sense to me,  It just confusing when they give the following options,  Non-Touch HD LCD w/ HD Cam (WWAN) or Non-Touch HD LCD w/ HD Cam (WLAN).  Thanks for clearing that up.  Bob

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 1st, 2017 12:00

There's probably a better way to phrase it, but I think basically the options are that the first one has WWAN only, while the second has both antennas.

Automakers found out years ago that a la carte options add to production cost and decrease quality -- maybe the computer manufacturers will eventually figure this out as well.

No Events found!