japthorpe
1 Copper

Why does USB 3.0 port on Inspiron 17 5748 not work with Plugable USB3-HUB7-81X

I  received a Plugable USB3-HUB7-81x from Amazon several days ago. {{Two years ago I purchased a USB3-Hub7 from Amazon which works flawlessly---a Plugable 7 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 4A Power Adapter (VIA VL812 Rev B2 Chipset and updated firmware v9081 with Linux, OS X, and Windows support and full.}}}

The device I received recently will not function when attached to the 3.0 USB port on my Dell Inspiron 17 5000 series  laptop(model #5748).  It works without problems when plugged into a 2.0 port.  I have rebooted several times without correction of the problem. The following message is displayed in the right lower corner of the laptop screen briefly just after the blue LED lights blink on the new Plugable 7 hub and then go dark.  "The hub does not have enough power available to operate the USB Mass Storage Device. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message."
Does anyone know if the USB 3 port on the Dell Laptop has limited expandibility?  - did Dell make it with this flaw/defect?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ieee488
5 Iridium

RE: Why does USB 3.0 port on Inspiron 17 5748 not work with Plugable USB3-HUB7-81X

USB 3.0 maximum current output is 900mA. http://www.everythingusb.com/superspeed-usb.html

0 Kudos