Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

January 18th, 2009 08:00

Why does my screen blink black when I plug or unplug my charger?

Whenever I plug in the charger the screen blinks black for a second, but goes back to normal afterward, and lags the computer for a few seconds (i figured that because my music or videos skips on WMP). The same thing happens when I unplug the charger.  I didn't used to have this problem, it started happening when I reinstalled windows xp pro or updated to service package 2.  But the previous times when I reinstalled windows, it never gave me this problem.  The first time my brother reinstalled Windows he had this problem, and recently just reinstalled windows and he doesn't have this problem.  Also, we have the same exact laptop and we used the same Windows XP Pro. disc.

I don't know how to bring up all my information, I'm guessing its called BIOS, but I have a Dell Latitude D531, it has AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56, 1gb of RAM, using SP2, using an OEM battery and charger(I highly doubt the battery and charger are the problem, but I thought I should mention that).

If you need anymore information I'm more than welcome to get it as long as you'll willing to tell me how to find it if I have trouble.

Any help will be well appreciated. Thanks

2 Posts

February 1st, 2015 00:00

To help others who search. Posted by Shafimuhammad here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19435392

Diagnosis

The video "refresh rate" is switching between 60Hz (on AC power) and 50Hz (on battery power), and the screen momentarily goes blank.

Solution

While on AC power, Desktop>Right Click>Properties>Settings>Advanced>Monitor. Here, under Monitor settings, set the Screen Refresh Rate to 50 Hertz. After applying these settings, the blinking problem gets fixed.

1 Message

February 4th, 2016 01:00

Thanks Alot it worked for me...

1 Message

December 24th, 2017 11:00

wow man.. thanks

No Events found!