Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2012 18:00

Why should I or anyone I know ever buy another dell product. Customer satisfaction not valued

dell goes through litigation about their laptops with faulty graphics cards ( including my dell xps m1530) and I'm assuming many customers like myself weren't even aware if this. Unlucky for me my laptop now refuses to display anything because I am only now experiencing the issue. Dell extended the warranty for specifically this issue but it ended last year and I'm experiencing it now. I've had several issues with my computer but haven't complained about it. The cd dual slot hasn't worked in 2 years, my webcam doesn't work, I kept getting notices about my USB port not working optimally. I just shrug at all those issues and as long as my computer works I'm happy. But now it doesnt and dell is aware it's because a faulty gpu that is a common complaint with my computer. So are dell products only good for 3.5 years? does dell stand by its product? The answer appears negative on both accounts. I would have liked to have known that when I purchased one..!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 13th, 2012 18:00

Presumably, you missed the fact that the issues were with nVidia - and involved systems from all manufacturers who used the chips.  The faulty GPUs were used by all manufacturers - not just Dell.

Notebook computers are generally taken to have a service life of about three years - most manufacturers won't even cover them longer than that with extended warranties.

So, if you got 3.5 years out of the system you must have had one of the later models - the M1530s out there are generally more like 5 years old now than 3.5.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 13th, 2012 19:00

Yep Even Apple had the issue.

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues - Apple - Support

support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues - Apple - Support

Symptoms

In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.

What to look for:

• Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
  • No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on

Specific products affected:

• MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch models with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors
    • MacBook Pro (17-Inch, 2.4GHz)
    • MacBook Pro (15-Inch, 2.4/2.2GHz)
    • MacBook Pro (Early 2008)
  • These computers were manufactured between approximately May 2007 and September 2008

May 13th, 2012 21:00

Actually I do know the graphics card is from nVidia and I know about the litigation involving their cards. However dell is ultimately responsible for their product and it's contents and apparently as a Dell customer I'm out of luck whereas if I were an apple customer with this issue I would still have time to get my machine fixed.

The funny thing is before experiencing this issue I was starting to look for another computer, most likely a desktop and probably would have bought a dell out of pure blind loyalty and familiarity. I have experienced good service in the past, but I don't think I deserve a you're out of luck scenario for the money I spent on this laptop, not to mention this is my second dell laptop.

Will I buy a third dell machine. Can't say that I will and I know I'm not the only dell owner with that same sentiment.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 14th, 2012 06:00

There are plenty of others who feel the same way about their Toshibas, Lenovos, Apples, etc.  Everyone who bought the nVidia 8400/8600 systems is in the same boat.  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 14th, 2012 07:00

"I would still have time to get my machine fixed. "

I'm going to test that theory in the next few days.

I have a Macbook Pro A1126 that the video has failed on Yesterday.

I suspect that Apple will not fix this but I'll post back to note for sure.

May 16th, 2012 17:00

Update: Dell steps it up. They are sending a tech to address the gpu issue.  Turning and unfortunate scenario into a net positive experience. Thanks Dell,  my confidence is restored and I feel valued as a customer. Awesome

July 2nd, 2012 22:00

Don't celebrate just yet. I got the free repair from the extended hardware warranty in June 2010, only to have my computer fail again in a year. I call Dell for help, and the only thing they can say is they can't do anything about it because my extended hardware warranty expired. They act like they are doing me a favor by offering me another motherboard replacement and 6 months warranty for $199 plus tax. First of all, the replacement part will be refurbished since this computer is no longer being manufactured, therefore still containing a defective GPU. Second of all, Dell will give me no guarantee this third repair will work, written nor verbal. How many times would I have to pay to have my computer repaired when it fails again? It hasn't even lasted me three years. It's just not worth it. I would sell that piece of junk before you're stuck with a $955 paperweight like I am.

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2012 23:00

i see your stress man. but, to answer your first question: yes. from what i see it seems 3 - 5 years is maximum useful life of about any laptop. that's when critical system failures requiring motherboard replacement, or similar critical failure. those well built bits of hardware that live longer find themselves outdated because all the cool new games don't play well with the older inboard vid card.

July 2nd, 2012 23:00

I think that's why my computer failed so quickly. I was told upon purchase this was a gaming laptop, but it is not a gaming, more like entertainment. I played the Sims 3 on mine, and I would play for hours. I think that's what caused the GPU to burn out quicker. But that shouldn't matter. Is it unreasonable of me to expect to use my computer for whatever I want to use it for without it giving out on me without warning because of an inherent defect?

No Events found!