Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JE

August 10th, 2017 10:00

WiDi/Miracast-capable Network Adapter Available For Use in L502x Laptop?

Is there a network adapter that can be installed as a replacement for the stock Intel Centrino Wireless N-6150 adapter currently installed in L502x laptop running latest version of Windows 10?

Want to add WiDi/Miracast capability to this laptop.  If such an upgrade is possible, are there any particular driver constraints, etc. that we should be aware of?

• 

16.7K Posts

August 10th, 2017 10:00

Jenkins Ear,

Unfortunately, I have no information if a widi card will work in this computer.Also, Windows 10 is not supported on this system by Dell. There are no Windows 10 drivers available for download on the Dell Drivers Page.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 10th, 2017 11:00

WiDi is a dead technology - Intel has dropped support for it.

Miracast support should be there with that network adapter - the rest depends on your CPU and GPU.

www.intel.com/.../000005492.html

August 14th, 2017 13:00

I have installed Intel 7260 card.  WiFi works fine.  Bluetooth works fine.  MP4 files Windows 10 (Dell L502X) show our Sony Bravia TV (about 5 years old) , and I can cast by bringing up the context menu for the MP4 file, and then selecting Cast To -> [Sony Bravia TV].  However, csting videos recorded in other formats results in severe stuttering/freezes, and in some instances a message on the TV that says there is no connection to the "server".  (What server is it talking about?)

Audio files cast to the TV and play without a hitch.

The only way I can get the video cast to the TV is by taking the context "Cast To ..." route.  I am unable to Connect to the TV using the Action Center - it is unable to find the TV, and says the PC "... doesn't support Miracast."  What's holding up the PC from supporting MiraCast?  Do I have to enable it someplace?  Where?  Do I have to install some special support for MiraCast?

I have installed all the latest Intel drivers for the Network Adapter - do I need to do some stuff on the Dell side to get this all to work?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 14th, 2017 13:00

^ No, in fact the Dell site probably doesn't even have drivers for that card in this system.  But I usually use the Intel drivers even when the Dell sites does offer drivers because Intel's are usually newer.  Don't go trying to fix things that aren't broken. ;)

August 14th, 2017 16:00

Jesse L:

Windows 10 works like a champ on the L502X.  Just FYI.

August 14th, 2017 16:00

In thrashing around the internet, I think I see that a) the L502X graphics card (NVidia GEForce GT 540M) is soldered to the motherboard, b) that GPU doesn't support Miracast, c) there is no [practical] way to update the GPU, d) I am therefore screwed.

Summarizing:  If you have a Dell L502X with NVIDIA GEForce GT 540M GPU, you cannot ever use Miracast with that device.

Is that how others understand it, too?

No Events found!