Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2014 16:00

WiFi thruput dies when on docking station with lid closed

I just discovered that my Dell Lattitude E5540 gets great throughput (20 mbps) if I just open up the lid, on or off the docking station. But if I close the lid on the docking station (the preferred position), it drops to about 2.0 on a good day. For months, I've assumed I just had a weak router. Even an external mic doesn't improve that by much, so it appears not to be a problem with the signal, but with the wireless processing. I couldn't find anything in the Dell forums on this, so thought I'd start a new thread since I imagine others have this issue. I did find on a Google search that apparently shutting the lid might cause some power settings to kick in on the wireless card, even when docked and awake. But I couldn't find a way to address. I don't want to undo the shut lid settings since when I shut the lid and not on a dock, I want it to go to sleep! Is this just a screwy design flaw or am I missing something? My previous Lattitude had the same issue, although I hadn't discovered that opening the lid would give me back my throughput.

1 Message

September 2nd, 2014 02:00

Hi,

We are experiencing the same issue when our Dell E6540 laptops are docked into the USB 3.0 Dell docking stations (6 laptops). The internet speed is reduced to approx. 10% which is quite miserable and nonsense. We use the laptop with the lid closed as we have complete working stations with monitors. The station should help to make the professional workflow quicker but this way the opposite happens.

I hope there is a solution I don't know if it is related to a special setting of the docking station but I could not find any.

Please admins reply to this topics ASAP nearly one moth passed without any reply from you to Jimbobka!

No Events found!