Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 16th, 2013 10:00

Wifi Driver Update

I have wifi driver R228308 installed on my Inspiron 1555 (after I just reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled everything), this gives me ver 12.04.000 installed.  I then tried installing R246753 which is suppose to upgrade me to ver 13.00.000.  When it runs it asks me if I am sure that I want to upgrade and I say yes then I get another screen popup which says "This application must be installed using the Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless installer.  This installation will exit."

Please tell me how I proceed to get ver 13 installed.

3.3K Posts

September 18th, 2013 17:00

Hi Neil154,

The Intel Software version is 16.1.1 and the wireless card driver’s version is 14.3.2.1.

Refer the following link for more information:

http://dell.to/1gAynD1

Please reply for further questions.

3.3K Posts

September 16th, 2013 11:00

Hi Neil154,

May I know the Operating system installed?

From where did you try and install the drivers?

Click on the link below to install the latest version of Intel Wireless drivers:

http://intel.ly/15y2UA0

Awaiting your response!

89 Posts

September 16th, 2013 13:00

Thanks, I was able to upgrade using the link you provided.  The strange thing is that I got the errors using the drivers from Dell.  I then tried using the Intel site to automatically detect my driver and it said I was up to date but I did not have ver 16 installed so obviously that did not work correctly.

Now for an additional question.  The driver & wifi from your link iis for ver16 which shows up that way in my "Programs and Features" but when I go into my "Device Manager" the Wifi 5100 driver shows as version 14.3.2.1  Can you explain that to me?Thanks for your help

BTW I am using Win 7 64 bit

3.3K Posts

September 17th, 2013 19:00

Hi Neil154,

It should actually show Version 16.1.1.

Before installing the wireless drivers, did you uninstall the previous one?

• Click “Start”, type “Device Manager” and press enter.
  • In the “Device Manager” window, click the plus sign next to “Network adapters “to expand it.
  • Under “Network adapters “, right click “Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230”,click “Uninstall”.
  • Check the box “Delete driver software for this device”, click ok and follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the driver.
  • Restart the computer.

Now install the latest version.

Let me know the status.

89 Posts

September 18th, 2013 12:00

I know at one point Intel told me to manually unistall previous driver and I did that from "Programs and Feature".  Now when I look at "Programs and Features" it shows "Intel Proset/Wireless Software" Version 16.1.1 but when I look at my adapter in the device manager (Intel wifi Link5100 AGN) it shows version 14.3.2.1.

I don't understand the two different version numbers

89 Posts

September 18th, 2013 18:00

Thanks for all your help.

I also tried to click on the "yes" that your response answered the question but it would not register the "yes"

No Events found!