Highlighted
Mayor Tom
1 Copper

Will Windows 7 Pro 64 bit USB key work for laptop that originally had 32 bit OS

I bought a laptop from my employer.  They wiped hard drive first.  I contacted Dell, gave them my service tag number.  They said they could sell me a USB key which I bought.  Invoice that was sent showed 64 bit windows 7 pro however my configuration on Dell website showed that the laptop originally had 32 bit windows 7 pro installed.  

I called them back and rep said that the USB would know what system to install and do it automatically. Was skeptical and called back a few days later and was told by a different rep that they sent me the wrong usb key and I would need the 32 bit one and I should contact Sales department. 

Before I call yet again, can someone tell me if the key they sent will work. 

Latitude E6410 ATG.

Also, the Dell website shows that my laptop was originally configured with 4GB of 1333Mhz RAM but actual computer shows only 2GB of 1067Mhz RAM.  Will that be a problem?

Thanks for any info/help.  

0 Kudos
1 Reply
9 Rhodium

RE: Will Windows 7 Pro 64 bit USB key work for laptop that originally had 32 bit OS

You may want to upgrade the memory (2 G is a bare minimum and will make WIndows 7 run slowly) but the 64-bit version of Windows will work just fine on that hardware.

0 Kudos