Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2017 10:00

Win 7 x64: Realtek Audio Driver Installs but High Definition Audio Driver fails?

Recently upgraded hard drive to an SSD and did a clean-install of Windows 7 using Dell media. Post install, I cannot get the audio working. Device manager shows ...

Bluetooth Audio Driver
High Definition Audio Device (yellow exclamation point)
Realtek High Definition Audio

I have tried the following to fix:

1. Uninstalling and deleting the driver then re-downloading using Dell Detect
2. Installing the RealTek R282 driver from the RealTek site
3. Windows Update does not find the driver
4. Right click on entry in device manager and letting Windows find it
5. Installing it manually from the Dell site

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 28th, 2017 18:00

Dell Inspiron 3847

The only Win7 audio driver Dell supplied for the Inspiron 3847 was the four year old Realtek 6.0.1.700.

This is the model's Intel Chipset driver. On the laptops sometimes it is important to install it before the audio driver because it helps the OS identify the audio. Don't know if it would matter on a desktop.

This is a link to the Desktop Audio discussion board. (This is the Laptop Audio board.)

If it were a laptop, it would not be normal to see both High Definition Audio Device and Realtek High Definition Audio in the Device Manager at the same time. High Definition Audio would be the native audio driver and would only be installed in the absence of a Realtek audio driver. If you had a laptop I would advise you to remove the Realtek driver from Device Manager by right clicking on it, then uninstall and put a check in the box to delete the driver software. Restart, then "update" the High Definition Audio Device and see if the bang goes away. If it did then I would advise to install the Realtek. But because it is a Desktop I don't know what is normal for it. Perhaps the folks on the Desktop board can offer some assistance.

December 27th, 2017 11:00

The Dell Detect utility shows all Chipset drivers as current and installed

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

December 27th, 2017 11:00

chipset driver first

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

December 27th, 2017 12:00

it may be installed but was it installed first?

December 27th, 2017 12:00

No clue. Which driver from device manager should be uninstalled to test this theory?

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

December 27th, 2017 13:00

Don't know.

All I know is what Dell recommends, and I have always followed their instructions.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 28th, 2017 04:00

Hello. When asking about a specific driver you should provide us with the model name of the laptop in addition to the operating system.

December 28th, 2017 07:00

This is a desktop running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. Model is Dell Inspiron 3847

December 29th, 2017 16:00

Thanks. I moved this topic to Desktop forum.

No Events found!