Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2013 18:00

Win 8,1 Video Drivers for M4600 Precision

When will updated video drivers be provided for the M4600 Precision laptop for Windows 8.1? 

The current recommended drivers (released 3/6/2013) do not work correctly (resolution is set to 1920 by 1080 but programs display at a lower resolution) and and attempt to use later Nvidia drivers results in a BSOD - attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.

Thanks

Chris

• 

3.3K Posts

October 21st, 2013 03:00

Hi Chris,

Dell has not tested Windows 8.1 on this system model and not recommended for upgrade.

Refer to the following link for more information for systems which are eligible for upgrade:

http://dell.to/1a6L2h1  

Since you have already upgraded to Windows 8.1 you may try installing the Windows 8 driver in the compatibility mode. Follow the instruction provided below for the same.

Download the windows 8 driver and double click on the file and extract it on the desktop in a folder. Look for setup file in the extracted folder. Right click ‘.exe’ file and click ‘Properties’. Click “install in compatibility mode’. Click on Application and select ‘Troubleshoot Compatibility’. Next, click on ‘Troubleshoot Program’. Click on Program worked in earlier versions of Windows. Click on ‘Windows 8’.Click on ‘Start the Program’. Do not hit ‘Next’ until the installation completes. Once the installation completes, click on ‘Next’.

Hope this helps.

October 21st, 2013 19:00

I saw that list previously which is why I am asking when will Dell release drivers that support this?

I develop Windows 8.1 applications for my company so 'not installing Windows 8.1' is simply not an option. Since Windows 8.1 is now released to the public and this laptop is only 2 years old I fail to see why Dell could not support it.

I will try the drivers in compatibility mode.

Thanks

• 

3.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 06:00

Hi Chris.

I cannot guarantee any updates in the near future. However as suggested install the required drivers in the compatibility mode and let me know the status after the update.

1 Message

April 28th, 2014 05:00

Ok So I purchased my Dell M4600 January 2013. So you mean to tell me that I cannot upgrade my laptop that I spent a lot of money on, so that in less than a year it is a piece of trash!!

Thanks a lot Dell for nothing!!! I was told to stay away from Dell but I wanted to give the benefit of doubt. I saw the reviews and they were great however thanks for taking the money and shoving your EOL stuff out the door to make a profit. Salesperson said "Oh Dell is great with upgrades, you should have no problems upgrading this laptop to the next OS, it has all the bells and whistles".

Should have went with ASUS to begin with.

April 28th, 2014 17:00

Hard to believe isn't it. Over 6 months and still no official Windows 8 upgrade.

I do have Windows 8.1 working however it was a huge pain - I had to boot into safe mode numerous times to uninstall graphics drivers and my computer still takes around 10 minutes to boot up.

No Events found!