Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2012 08:00

Win7 on B130?

I have a Dell B130, Win XP SP3, purchased in 2006. I would like to upgrade to Win7. I have run Win7 upgrade and don't see anything that would prevent me from upgrading.

The laptop is original except I upped the memory to 2GB. It works great on my Home Network with 2 Win7 desktops.

I only want to use it for Internet when traveling, so I don't need a powerhouse.

Has anyone done the upgrade to Win7 on a B130?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 27th, 2012 11:00

There is no Upgrade from Any version of XP to windows 7.   That means you will have to format and reinstall everything.

There are no vista drivers for this unit.  This means that you have an unsupported configuration.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Yes I have got this unit to run fine on Windows 7 32 bit. There were two complications, the Video Driver and also Dell Quickset.

For drivers the ones you need are mainly the Vista 32 bit ones from the Inspiron 6400:

Dell Notebook Software R143625 

Intel Chipset R140623 

Video R128346 (XP Driver you need to install via the found new hardware)

• Wireless Card (Depends what one you have, if Intel Proset Wireless get from the Intel Website)

Touchpad R141200 

Dell Quickset R180759 (Lengthy procedure to install XP version as Dell didn't make the 1300/6000 compatible for this model).

I have documented the Windows 7 install procedure in my wiki A Clean Install of Windows.

Now if you can get Windows 7 for very cheap or free then it is probably worthwhile doing. If on the otherhand you are paying for a full license, you are best to instead buy a new unit. Standard laptops on the market today vastly outpower the Inspiron 1300 in both performance and battery life and Windows 7 will run much smoother. Note also that you can install Windows 7 without a product key and evaluate it for 3 days, this will also give you a chance to see if you find the upgrade worthwhile.

Additional notes on how to get the Video driver and Quickset working in the Inspiron 1300/6000.

Download the XP video driver and extract with 7zip. In device manager, right click the device with the error and select install/update driver select the specific location and select the folder where you have extracted the driver. (May want to check on WIndows Update also for a Video Driver).

Now install the Inspiron 6000's XP Quickset in compatibility mode.

Also change on the start menu.

Next use task schedular. Start it via a search from the start menu.

Go to actions > Create Basic Task

Follow the wizard, Name: Dell Quickset,< Next>  Trigger: When I log on  Action: Start Program select program, navigate to C:\Program Files\Quickset and click on the Quickset Icon. Then click finish. Almost done, at this stage it worked but I got a UAC prompt everytime I powered up.

The next step is to find Dell Quickset in the Task Schedular Library. Double click it and edit its general properties.

Check run with highest privileges. Now go to the triggers tab edit triggers

Change "Specific User" to "Any User" and make sure enabled is checked at the bottom left. Click .

Everything should now be fully functional with Windows 7 32 bit on your unit.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 27th, 2012 08:00

nodsirrrah,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum,

Dell does not have any windows  7 drivers for this system. You may have issues getting the network to work without the correct drivers.,

22 Posts

Jesse.

I am not very technical! I think you are saying Dell has XP drivers which currently allow me to use my Win7 network but if I upgrade to Win7 I will not have the drivers necessary.

I thought drivers were only required for hardware devices. What drivers are required for connecting to a network?

22 Posts

January 28th, 2012 06:00

This procedure sounds quite hairy so I'll have to do some real serious thinking.

I know I can't justify a new Win7 laptop for what I want to use it for and good used ones are still pretty expensive and hard to find.

22 Posts

January 29th, 2012 07:00

I did some searching and decided to buy a used Dell laptop with Certified Win7 installed for less $200, compared to buying Win7 software for around $110 and perhaps loosing my mind!

Thanks for everyones help.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 29th, 2012 07:00

What laptop did you buy?

No Events found!