Highlighted
sfloyola
1 Nickel

Windows 10 UEFI install on samsung PM951 NVMe ssd failing.

Jump to solution

Im attempting a clean install of Windows 10 on a XPS15 with the 256gb PM951 NVMe SSD.  Whenever the bios is in the UEFI mode, the windows installed does not see the SSD drive.  I can install windows in legacy mode with the GP partition style but not in UEFI mode.  Im using a bootable usb drive which is UEFI.  I think having the driver for the SSD might help but i cannot find it anywhere.  Any help would be appreciated.  

0 Kudos
12 Replies
vnnyvnny
1 Copper

RE: Windows 10 UEFI install on samsung PM951 NVMe ssd failing.

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same issue, just on a XPS 13. 

0 Kudos
sfloyola
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Any help dell support?  Just need a driver or a wibdows system image with one.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

The drive doesn't need a driver - it's the drive controller that does.  Exactly which XPS 15 model (9550, 9530, etc.) do you have?

0 Kudos
d3msd8le
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Sounds kind of like you have BIOS set for RAID but didn't pre-load the RAID drivers.  Either need to pre-load the drivers or switch to ACHI.

sfloyola
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The drive doesn't need a driver - it's the drive controller that does.  Exactly which XPS 15 model (9550, 9530, etc.) do you have?

it's the 9550.

0 Kudos
sfloyola
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Sounds kind of like you have BIOS set for RAID but didn't pre-load the RAID drivers.  Either need to pre-load the drivers or switch to ACHI.

My Bios is set to RAID, which I thought was correct since it's a NVMe drive but I could be wrong.  You're correct in that I do not have any drivers preloaded except what comes with the Windows system image. Could you point me to where I can obtain these?  Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

You'd be better off with the controller in AHCI mode -- but both drivers are part of the Intel RST driver package:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

0 Kudos
sebbe91
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I had the same problem with my xps 13 9350. Computer couldn't find the SSD to install windows on when i had it on RAID -setting. You have to download the drivers for your SSD from dells website, but instead of clicking install you click extract - put them on your usb and you need to browse for the file and install the driver.

This worked for me!

0 Kudos
sfloyola
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

You'd be better off with the controller in AHCI mode -- but both drivers are part of the Intel RST driver package:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

First, thanks for the info/link. From my understanding to take advantage of a nvme drive you have to use the raid control.  Is that not correct?

0 Kudos