Highlighted
G Bear
1 Copper

Windows 10 Upgrade and Video Display Driver Crash

Recently upgraded my Inspirion 15R SE 7520 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Updated all drivers, BIOS, etc. Dell Product Support site diagnostics says all okay and updated for Windows 10. Verified that graphics drivers are latest released versions. Thus, should be all ready go, but...

I periodically experience following failure sequence when using IE browser and seems to be triggered when initiating more intricate browser screen:

1. Extension video screen goes black.
  2. Screen recovers and then get message 'Windows has stopped using this device because it has reported problems. (code 43)' referring to Intel HD Graphics 4000.
  3. Soon after get message 'No AMD Graphics Driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly'.
  4. Device Manager shows problem w/ Intel HD Graphics but not problem on AMD Graphics driver.
  5. Eventually, lab top will crash if I don't restart to recover drivers, and forces me to hard restart.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mary G
6 Indium

RE: Windows 10 Upgrade and Video Display Driver Crash

Make sure all drivers are from Dell and not from outside manufacturers. Let Dell System Detect check the drivers and update if necessary. Laptops must have the customized Dell drivers to work correctly--NOT the "latest versions" available from AMD or Intel or others. Your model is approved for upgrading but you must have the dell graphics drivers especially since you have Intel and AMD graphics. The wrong drivers are causing the errors you are receiving. Here's the site to check your drivers--

www.dell.com/.../drivers

0 Kudos
G Bear
1 Copper

RE: Windows 10 Upgrade and Video Display Driver Crash

All drivers were updated through Dell initially, including AMD and Intel HD Graphics 4000.

But, I had worse issues with Dell's HD Graphics 4000 latest version. Dell's latest version is dated 21 Jan 2013, which worked fine with Windows 8.1, but not Windows 10. I went to Intel and loaded their latest version of Intel HD Graphics 4000. This greatly improved stability, but I still have periodic issues.

Question for Dell... When will you update this video driver for Windows 10 or come up with alternative customer solution? Disappointing that Dell listed the Inspirion 15R SE 7520 as ready for Windows 10 upgrade, but this appears not to be the case.