Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2016 02:00

Windows 10 crashed my 15z 5523

The installation took forever but it worked fine ... but ... the reboot fails. I have a black screen. Probably an UEFI issue! No boot menu! No Dell Logo! I am lost...

51 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 00:00

This text from (answers.microsoft.com/.../60e8c9b4-5fb6-41f1-a612-0d44a5819487 is encouraging. The 15z 5523 has no reset button in the RAM compartment, right?

I have solved the problem of no POST, or booting and black screen on Dell Inspiron 15z 5523 (this may apply to other laptops of the same series). Sometimes, you may hear different beeps - which is not consistent. I know it's very late, but wants to help people who would read this after having the same problem.

This problem started after I upgraded to Windows 10 and updated BIOS. This also happens when I tried to boot from external HDD.

When this happens, if you try to force shut down (holding the power button for 6 seconds and leaving) and restart continuously, you can make the PC start. You may have to try this 10s of time - every time after reseating and pressing reset button (this button is visible when you open the RAM compartment - read the manual). If this does not work, remove the BIOS battery (refer manual how to disassemble the laptop) and wait for 15 minutes and replace, then try. You may have to do this several times.

Before trying the above mentioned restart procedure make sure to create a bootable DOS USB flash disk and download and save a new BOIS firmware (this can be freely downloaded from Dell website) on the disk. If you already have the latest BIOS firmware, download a lower version of the firmware.

When the laptop boots (by chance as explained above) make sure your USB flash disk is already inserted on the laptop. Keep pressing F12 (in quick succession) before even you see anything on the screen. This will land you on the boot screen. Now choose the USB drive that you have inserted as the boot device - this will bring you to the DOS prompt.

Now type: DIR and press enter.

You will now see a list of files in the USB drive. Type the name of the file exactly as it appears on the list. Press enter.

If it says that your firmware version is lower than the existing version, type the name of the file with /forceit switch (eg: 5523A05.EXE /forceit)

This will start the updating process and ask you for confirmation - press Y.

Once this completes, the problem with your laptop will be solved. The problem may come back if you try to boot again from an external hard disk.

The problem is not with the motherboard but with the BIOS.

51 Posts

December 22nd, 2016 03:00

The light of the power button (at the top) is on. The small LED on the front left is on. The disc LED goes on for a few seconds. I can hear the disc drive, it is on. The screen remains black.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2016 03:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Can you please tell us if you see the light on the power button comes on or flickering or just doesnt come on.

Kindly private message the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

51 Posts

December 22nd, 2016 23:00

A lot of blogs around for the very same topic. The recommendations to remove the batteries and push the start button for > 45 sec seems the only one that works, but I do not want to disassemble the machine to get access to the boot menu again. Very frustrating.

December 23rd, 2016 06:00

Hi,

We wanted to confirm that you are able to boot into windows now.

51 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 07:00

Wait a minute, after several cycles of max van speed, the system reboots properly !!! But from time to time, max van speed. Strange, but I am back!

51 Posts

Additional information: if I do nothing, leave the machine running with its black screen, after a few minutes the van turns on to max speed for 10s, roughly. Then silence and after a few minutes the van starts again.

I have tried all key combinations to boot, with FN, Ctrl, F2, F8, F12, all without success.

51 Posts

Unfortunately not. Black screen is all I get.

51 Posts

Hardware test result: Error Code 2000-0511

Validation 107930

Msg. Fan - The (ProcessorFan) fan failed to respond correctly

51 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 13:00

I have tried to refresh the BIOS without success. The command option /forceit did not work for me. Same with /s /f. It is hard to believe that the Windows10 installation modifies the BIOS, but it looks like it has happen. I am not sure when I refresh the BIOS (with the old version), that Windows10 will continue to run. In the meantime, I will use standby instead of shut down.

2.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 13:00

So the 15z was never tested to run Windows 10.  If you can, go into Windows 10's control panel and revert back to the version of windows you had if you did an upgrade.  If you did a fresh install, I would use your restore discs to restore it back to the version of windows it came with.

51 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 23:00

Yes, I was waiting for that argument. Windows 10 first edition worked fine. I didn't ask for the anniversary release, it came over night. I doubt that a revert back will solve the corrupt BIOS. I leave the 15z in standby mode instead of shut down for the time being and check the temperature.

Merry Christmas :-)

December 26th, 2016 02:00

Hi,

Thank you for this update.

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information

51 Posts

December 26th, 2016 02:00

Hi.

I have already sent the information by private mail to Dell-Robin D, a while ago, no response...

My status: hardware test shows a fan error, see above. Computer is working fine on Win10 anniversary release. I have prepared a bootable USB stick with the BIOS A05. The question is, should I overwrite the existing BIOS or do I stick with what I have.

en.community.dell.com/.../19649946

Regards

Dietmar

51 Posts

December 29th, 2016 14:00

After a few successful reboots, my system is dead. I hear 3 beeps, no Dell logo, no fan, no nothing :-(

No Events found!