Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2017 12:00

Windows 10 facial id login

I have my brand new windows 10 laptop from Dell.  One of the less important reasons I got it was to be able to have facial recognition instead of typing in a password.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the Inspiron 3558, even though it had a camera, could not do facial recognition.  At least that's what the message pops up and tells me when I try to install it.

Why not?

I figured this was a windows 10 operating function, not a laptop camera issue?  Can this be overcome?  I appreciate any help I receive on this.

Smoky

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2017 13:00

I have two brand new laptops of different types.

The first one came with an infrared camera and worked well for facial recognition.  Hello had no problems with it.  The webcam was not usable for facial recognition.

The second system came with an infrared camera but it was configured differently and was not usable for facial recognition.  It did have a fingerprint reader which works fine..

So, from my experience I will say a webcam is not acceptable for facial rec on the newer systems.  Possibly due to problems with ambient light and it may not have been reliable.

2 Posts

February 26th, 2017 05:00

What would you recommend for the Inspiron 3558?  An outboard fingerprint reader or an outboard infrared camera?

Smoky

No Events found!