drnikhilesh
1 Copper

RE: Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron 15R N5010

Jump to solution

Hi,

I did my upgrade, it took few attempts but things are working fine. No issues with wireless but the system is very slow to boot and often ends up re-starting.

0 Kudos
Dan-H
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

I did a clean install N5110 core i5 to a brand new Samsung Evo 850 SSD 250GB and everything seems to be working. I did not test bluetooth. 

0 Kudos
jayb1233
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the Dell N5010 and was unable to upgrade also without losing bluetooth and graphics driver.  If memory serves correctly I had sound issues as well.

0 Kudos
H P Agrawal
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

N5010 does not support Windows 10.. I too have finally removed and returned back to windows 7.  But I am facing another problem.  The Dell system Detect says that my operating system is Windows 10 wheres I have already removed windows 10 through their option of reverting back to the old operating system.  Specially Broadcom wireless adapter and mouse are not supported.  Wireless adapter under Windows 10 has been frequently loosing connection and kept of searching for the modem.  The Synaptics Touch Pad - -lost both vertical and horizontal scroll function.

Further Dell is not providing any update to these hardwares installed on the laptop.

Highlighted
jlandwehr61
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I upgraded, but there were issues with the sound drivers and and bluetooth drivers, so I rolled back (after the 30 days). No issues now, but am wondering if the Win10 Service Pack 1 has fixed these driver issues. No way to tell, I reckon.

0 Kudos
GernotLarsen
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have also just upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro, everything OK except for graphics driver, the default MS one only has low resolution, and cannot use external / projector port.
Tried updating it using "Search Automatically" unfortunately this resulted in a blank screen and freezing the Notebook.
So far have not found a solution for this

0 Kudos
jlandwehr61
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Now that I've gone back to win7, the Win10 update keeps nagging me, but based on your post above, I think I'll pass until someone posts that there are definitively no issues. Thanks Gerntolarsen.

0 Kudos
H P Agrawal
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I wonder why DELL has not issued any clarification regarding the issues that one can face with Windows 10 on N5010. On Dell.com website you get one line note - that the N5010 has not been tested for Windows 10.

As manufacturer of the system DELL should have issued a statement that following issues may arise when one upgrades the system from windows 7 to Windows 10.  May be it is right time to say good bye to DELL and look for any other brand where the manufacturer appears to be a little more supportive.

Although N5010 issued by DELL have different configurations.  Two issues are most common -

Synaptics Mouse looses scroll function -  It is surprising to learn that on my N5010 -mouse has all the functions intact when I open a web page in OPERA but the same page when opened in Edge has no scroll function.   I have to use arrow keys in Edge.  Any document opened on the laptop using any software -  eg. Adobe, Word, Excel etc. do not support scroll function.

Internet connection becomes unstable -  The laptop wastes quite a lot of time in connecting and reconnecting.

H.P.Agrawal

0 Kudos
GFlan61
1 Copper

Jump to solution

While I haven't experienced any problems with my N5010 since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I do see quite a few people have had problems. I completely agree that Dell has been less than supportive to it's N5010 customers, they've had plenty of opportunity since the Windows 10 rollout to test any compatibility issues and provide fixes. 

Going forward, as I eventually replace my laptop, I will definitely be considering other brands before Dell.  

0 Kudos
H P Agrawal
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I fully agree with GFLAN 61.  There was plenty of time for DELL to have come out with a systemic analysis of the problems that the users may face on its various models of N5010.  This is the minimum that was required of DELL.  Providing fixes  may not be possible for technical reasons  best known to them but the problems must be known to DELL because they are the manufacturer and know all the technical details of the system with N5010.

This is good that people are considering some alternatives to DELL!

H.P.Agrawal