Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2015 07:00

Windows 10 on Dell Latitude E6420 Laptop : Black screen after installation

I installed windows 10 pro 64 bit on my dell laptop latitude e6420 (previously it held windows 7 64 bit) through online update on Microsoft recommendation.

After installation it rebooted and I got the dell logo followed by windows 10 logo and then black screen on my laptop.

I plugged in my monitor which loaded as soon as I inserted it

I can work with the computer on my laptop with the monitor but my laptop screen is not working.

Windows was working fine I was able to access net and tried to update all drivers but It showed me that all drivers are up to date.

I was able to run all my applications smoothly only my laptop screen was not working. what are the steps should I Follow to make my laptop screen work back normally.

November 8th, 2015 11:00

Hi, same problem here. I solved it by enable "Optimus" in the display Settings in the BIOS. 

November 9th, 2015 22:00

Yes but I ported back to windows 7 on adivce of microsoft tech teams answer , If i just change the setting to bios to optimum will it work ?

November 9th, 2015 23:00

Yes, after i enabled the "Optimus" setting in the BIOS the screen wasn't black anymore and windows installed the display driver by itself. I installed a SSD disk and Windows 10 boots in about 8s. ;) Not all Hardwaredrivers will be installed automaticly, but display, audio an network is after the installtion ok.

6 Posts

December 27th, 2015 20:00

Hi I have Windows 10 pro software & want to install it on Dell Latitude E6420 and Dell website is saying 6420 is not tested for win10. What should I do here. why E6420 is not tested when every other model is tested in this category. "Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected."

No Events found!