Highlighted
chocochipsbaer
1 Nickel

Windows 10 on e6420

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm currently running Windows 7 64 bit Professional on my e6420. I wonder if there will be drivers for Windows 10 for my machine. Is someone here able to answer this?

Greets

Hauke

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Windows 10 on e6420

Jump to solution

Hi chocochipsbaer,

Thanks for posting on the Forum.

Since Windows 10 is currently in beta phase, the availabilty for drivers are very sparse.  I've installed the Win 10 OS on a few machines for testing here in the office, and what I've found is that there are a lot of drivers already installed in the software.  For those drivers that weren't, I would get the Windows 8.1 drivers and they would work.

After Win 10 rolls out later this year for sale, drivers will come available as manufacturers offer the OS on their products.  Many of the manufacturers are currently testing their products with Win 10, and may start offering drivers, but until it is released for sale, you won't see a lot of drivers out there.

Regards,
Robert

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
chocochipsbaer
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I upgraded and ran Win 10 a couple of days until I did a clean install. I had no problem with the sound in both cases. When I clean installed win 10 I didn't even installed a single driver.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi chocochipsbaer,

Thanks for posting on the Forum.

Since Windows 10 is currently in beta phase, the availabilty for drivers are very sparse.  I've installed the Win 10 OS on a few machines for testing here in the office, and what I've found is that there are a lot of drivers already installed in the software.  For those drivers that weren't, I would get the Windows 8.1 drivers and they would work.

After Win 10 rolls out later this year for sale, drivers will come available as manufacturers offer the OS on their products.  Many of the manufacturers are currently testing their products with Win 10, and may start offering drivers, but until it is released for sale, you won't see a lot of drivers out there.

Regards,
Robert

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
chocochipsbaer
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Robert,

Thank you for answering me!

Basically I just wanted to know, if there will be any drivers for my machine, because it is not the latest model actually :P 

But I guess I know now. Your answer helped me a lot!

Greets,

Hauke

0 Kudos
gilesrpa
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My father-in-law has an E6420 machine that had been upgraded to Window 8.1 Pro. Approx 2 weeks ago, around 1st Aug 2015, the machine auto upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

All went well, no problems to report at all.

Then this week, 18th Aug 2015, he rang me asking about the sound. 

Since, then I have been over and had a look and the hardware appears to be configured and stated as operational within the device manager, but no sound can be heard.

I have been the Dell website and installed the sound card drivers, but still nothing.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and managed to resolve it?

0 Kudos
rvalen1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same issue on my E6420. The builtin speakers no longer work. However the headphone jacks work fine. Let me know if anyone else finds a solution to this.

0 Kudos
maikozzz
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. I forced the laptop  to install  and I can't hear from the speaker, I can not play 3d games and I can not use the printer, I can not use wifi  (at the start) After I go with a friend (he kown about laptops) and he fixed all my problems I don't know what he did but it works 

0 Kudos
Maydays
1 Copper

Jump to solution

So, you are saying your friend did get the sound to work?  My 6420 has the Win10 download ready to install but I've been holding off to see if this issue is resolved.

0 Kudos
rvalen1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

UPDATE: I was able to get my sound to work after I uninstalled audio drivers a few times and ran the Vista x64 drivers install. The install  failed a few times but after a few reboots it suddenly started to work. I also installed the latest webcam software too. Not sure if that was related to it not working but its all working now.

0 Kudos
chocochipsbaer
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I upgraded and ran Win 10 a couple of days until I did a clean install. I had no problem with the sound in both cases. When I clean installed win 10 I didn't even installed a single driver.

0 Kudos
maikozzz
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes, all problems fixed. Upgrade and if you have problems maybe my friend can help you (if you speak or read spanish) In your country maybe you can find a person who can help you. I was too easy actually there are updates (drivers)

0 Kudos