Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2015 02:00

Windows 10 on e6420

Hi,

I'm currently running Windows 7 64 bit Professional on my e6420. I wonder if there will be drivers for Windows 10 for my machine. Is someone here able to answer this?

Greets

Hauke

9.4K Posts

March 5th, 2015 05:00

Hi chocochipsbaer,

Thanks for posting on the Forum.

Since Windows 10 is currently in beta phase, the availabilty for drivers are very sparse.  I've installed the Win 10 OS on a few machines for testing here in the office, and what I've found is that there are a lot of drivers already installed in the software.  For those drivers that weren't, I would get the Windows 8.1 drivers and they would work.

After Win 10 rolls out later this year for sale, drivers will come available as manufacturers offer the OS on their products.  Many of the manufacturers are currently testing their products with Win 10, and may start offering drivers, but until it is released for sale, you won't see a lot of drivers out there.

Regards,
Robert

September 1st, 2015 06:00

I upgraded and ran Win 10 a couple of days until I did a clean install. I had no problem with the sound in both cases. When I clean installed win 10 I didn't even installed a single driver.

March 5th, 2015 05:00

Hi Robert,

Thank you for answering me!

Basically I just wanted to know, if there will be any drivers for my machine, because it is not the latest model actually :P 

But I guess I know now. Your answer helped me a lot!

Greets,

Hauke

1 Message

August 19th, 2015 12:00

My father-in-law has an E6420 machine that had been upgraded to Window 8.1 Pro. Approx 2 weeks ago, around 1st Aug 2015, the machine auto upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

All went well, no problems to report at all.

Then this week, 18th Aug 2015, he rang me asking about the sound. 

Since, then I have been over and had a look and the hardware appears to be configured and stated as operational within the device manager, but no sound can be heard.

I have been the Dell website and installed the sound card drivers, but still nothing.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and managed to resolve it?

2 Posts

August 23rd, 2015 18:00

I have the same issue on my E6420. The builtin speakers no longer work. However the headphone jacks work fine. Let me know if anyone else finds a solution to this.

2 Posts

August 28th, 2015 18:00

I have the same problem. I forced the laptop  to install  and I can't hear from the speaker, I can not play 3d games and I can not use the printer, I can not use wifi  (at the start) After I go with a friend (he kown about laptops) and he fixed all my problems I don't know what he did but it works :emotion-2:

1 Message

August 29th, 2015 22:00

So, you are saying your friend did get the sound to work?  My 6420 has the Win10 download ready to install but I've been holding off to see if this issue is resolved.

2 Posts

August 31st, 2015 06:00

UPDATE: I was able to get my sound to work after I uninstalled audio drivers a few times and ran the Vista x64 drivers install. The install  failed a few times but after a few reboots it suddenly started to work. I also installed the latest webcam software too. Not sure if that was related to it not working but its all working now.

2 Posts

September 11th, 2015 04:00

Yes, all problems fixed. Upgrade and if you have problems maybe my friend can help you (if you speak or read spanish) In your country maybe you can find a person who can help you. I was too easy actually there are updates (drivers)

1 Message

September 30th, 2015 16:00

I faced the sound problem yesterday and try to install driver from Dell ' web site but dont help .

Then i found this topic in this morning and try to uninstall driver .

Just right after uninstall all sound driver and restart my labtop speaker is back ,

Look like labtop is find some good driver by itself

8 Posts

October 4th, 2015 06:00

I had the problem with Lat 6500 no sound. I fix it by removing the drivers and letting it find the drivers it self.

Seems like it worked.

1 Message

January 17th, 2016 03:00

My audio quit working on my Dell model E6420 when I upgraded to Windows 10.  To avoid this, I suggest it may be best to install the latest BIOS and Windows audio driver for the E6420 before upgrading to Windows 10.  Uninstalling the audio driver, rebooting, and letting the system reinstall a driver did not work.  Attempting to install a driver for a Dell E6430 did not work.  I finally solved the problem by installing the latest available version of the BIOS for the E6420, and later installing the latest Windows audio driver for my E6420, even though it may not have been written specifically for Windows 10.  I obtained the BIOS upgrade and the audio upgrade from www.dell.com/.../Products using my service tag number code and the "Find it myself" option.  However, I had some "blue screen" errors installing that latest audio driver while using Windows 10, where the computer froze, the power had to be disconnected, and the battery removed and then reinstalled, the power reconnected, and then the computer rebooted.  However, after rebooting and going through a semi-automatic driver repair process the driver and the audio then started working.  As mentioned, I suggest it may be best to install the latest BIOS and Windows audio driver for the E6420 before upgrading to Windows 10.  Although I have not tested this, because I only have one E6420, this nonetheless may avoid the problems.

1 Message

June 10th, 2016 13:00

Had the problem of my E6420 speakers not working after Windows 10 upgrade and using Skype.

Solved my issue by going to Control Panel > Sound> Manage Audio Devices > right click Speakers/Headphones > Properties > Advanced > under Exclusive Mode deselected 'Give exclusive mode application priority'.

Hope this helps.

Alistair.

1 Message

June 10th, 2016 15:00

Hi  I'm not sure how this works  all i need to know is how to put my computer into safe mode to run a program to fix a kasperski problem

2 Posts

August 16th, 2016 08:00

I installed win 10 on this computer before I found out Dell was not testing it for system. Worked great until the Aug  9th updates came out and apparently they did something to the drivers, as I had to install Linux in order to use the wireless connection, ethernet down in both systems.

Maybe there is a wireless card Dell can recommend for use in the 6420 that would be compatible with win 10 and the 6420. I would like to keep my 6420 for a backup as I have a new laptop now.

No Events found!