Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

August 5th, 2015 03:00

Windows 10 touchpad gestures no longer working as expected (XPS 13 9333)

Hi everyone,

So on August 2nd I updated my Dell XPS 13 (9333) to Windows 10 Pro, and despite a few glitches from the OS, everything worked as expected, especifically the 3-finger swipe up to show Task View and down to show the Desktop, as well as (finally) being able to scroll windows out of focus just by hovering over by enabling the option in Settings.

However, yesterday I realized that is no longer the case. The 3-finger swipe brings up Cortana/Search and down opens up the Settings app. Moreover, scrolling w/o focus stopped working too!

I'm running the latest Dell Touchpad driver (v.19.0.15.2) and I have Multi-Finger gestures enabled in the options. Checking the Windows Update history, besides the Windows Defender updates, I see the following: KB3074678, KB3074686, and a Failed Synaptics Update for Dell Touchpad (around the day it stopped working as it should).

Anyone experiencing a similar problem? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

-- Pol

November 1st, 2015 09:00

Hi polmes,

I am not sure that I am going to be able to help you a lot.

However since i have never used an XPS System, I just need some help from you.

On your Keyboard if you take a Look at the F1, F2 keys you will get to some kind of an Image on it.

on what F* Key do you get to see the Touchpad Icon.
Let take for Example you get to see on F6.

Then Please try the FN+F6 key combination and let us know what happens.

before trying this, please ensure that you have installed the Touchpad Driver and Not using any Generic Drivers on the Computer.

4 Posts

November 1st, 2015 23:00

When I reboot - it works for a while - but then when the machine goes in sleep mode it reverts to pulling up the settings app on a 3-finger swipe. 

DELL - ARE YOU FIXING THIS? This is the kind of stuff that makes people buy a macbook

November 4th, 2015 10:00

hi polmes,

Please Try Uninstalling and Re-installing the Application.

Once Done, Go into the Device Manager.
Under the Mice and other Pointing devices.
You will get to see Dell Touchpad.
Right Click on it and go to the Properties.
You will get to see Power Management. over there you will get to see an Option
"Allow the Computer to turn off this Device to Save Power".
Please Uncheck the BOX and see if this Issue is getting resolved.

As per your Post you mentioned that if you restart your Computer it is working fine for a while.

Hope this May help you.

8 Posts

November 4th, 2015 14:00

Hi Trojan_Horse_17

Your proposed solution doesn't work because there is no "Power Management" tab in the Properties for Dell Touchpad.

2 Posts

November 12th, 2015 13:00

Yeah, same problem here. Hope they hurry up with that driver update. This is getting more than a bit annoying.

Polley

3 Posts

November 25th, 2015 13:00

any news? got the same problem with my l521x and a lot of forums try to find a solution...by the way, what is the difference between delltouchpad and delltouchpad35? both show different multi.fingers options, and funnily none of them really does what it should in the long-run.

December 1st, 2015 11:00

I have the same problem on my Dell Inspiron 15r SE 7520.

If I go to Control Panel -> Dell Touchpad -> Gestures and turn off gestures completely (screenshot), the annoying "swipe from the right -> Cortana" gesture is turned off. This might be a quick fix for anyone really annoyed. However, this also turns off two-finger scrolling.

On the other hand, if I enable gestures and disable all two-finger and three-finger gestures one by one (so that on the UI it looks like all gestures are turned off - screenshot) then the unwanted Cortana gesture still remains. :(

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 05:00

I upgraded my vostro to windows 10 same thing happened I downloaded synaptics driver 19.0.12.0 and now everything works fine

December 22nd, 2015 09:00

Super disappointing that this hasn`t been solved properly by dell. After a windows 10 update yesterday my dell xps trackpad stopped working as well. After spending hours on the internet looking for fixes I have managed to get the trackpad work, but only the basic functions and so no gesture, scrolling etc.

Dell can you please fix that asap!! If I could return my laptop and get my money back I would do it asap, spending more than 1000 dollars on a laptop with no proper touchpad functions is just a joke really

3 Posts

December 24th, 2015 05:00

many thanks BNSLLJ. silly question, but where did you get your driver version from? I tried to install a driver offered by HP and it didnt want to install on my L521x. thanks in advance.

1 Message

December 25th, 2015 02:00

For those who haven't figured it out through other suggestions that can be found online (none of them worked for me) I have finally found the answer to make the windows 10 gestures stick. Before, I would install the Dell driver, the three finger swipe would work as expected but after going to sleep the settings would forever be replaced with silly cortana and settings gestures.

Well the answer lies in an interesting touchpad .exe file called DellTouchpad35.exe which has those windows 8 gestures! My guess is that after reboot windows defaults to that exe and not the normal DellTouchpad.exe which has the right settings and located in the same folder.

So my solution is - delete all your synaptcs drivers in the device manager and the control panel, reboot. Install the fresh driver from the dell website. Verify that 3 finger gesture swipe works and customise the settings as you like. Then go to C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP and rename DellTouchpad35.exe to "old.DellTouchpad35.exe.old" put the computer to sleep and check the your windows 10 gestures are still working as expected!

1 Message

January 1st, 2016 19:00

This did not work for me. When you say delete do you mean flat out uninstall? Because that's what I did, using Control Panel's add/remove feature page. I uninstalled the Synaptics program, restarted, reinstalled then renamed. After putting it to sleep then waking up I had the same issue again.

1 Message

January 9th, 2016 14:00

As a general guide to windows 10 scrolling and advanced functions issue I can confirm, normal scrolling & gestures can be restored by editing the registery withing UseCustomGUI value. It has to be changed to 0 to enable windows advanced option for touchpad. than within the mouse options, you can set the scrooling to your liking.
This solution is mainly aiming at ALPS and Synaptics touchpad issues within Dell Latitude laptops with windows 10 installed.

Most probably will work on other devices.

Also main part of installing the touchpad is updating the drivers manually in case the don't change in device manager. if after install pointing device is still ps/2 mouse, update drivers manually, select "i'll choose the drivers", under Dell correct sellection can be made. Done.

January 10th, 2016 12:00

I have a brand new HP Spectre x360 with the same Synaptics touchpad issue of the 3-finger swipe function disappearing after going to sleep and turning back on. I've read dozens of forums on this problem and it is pervasive whether you have a Dell, Lenovo, HP, ..... It's something to do with the Synaptics "Service" applications that run at startup.  I've loaded up the latest drivers from Synaptics (v 19.0.12.98) and still had the same behavior. Also this laptop has was delivered in Dec. 2015 with Windows 10. It’s never seen another OS loaded. However, I did find that the solution of killing (or stopping from the Task Manager window) the SynTPEnhService.exe service seems to fix it. I've even copied over and implemented the scripts that other users have written and nicely posted on other vendor and community forums, that automatically will do this after "reawakening". Not an ideal solution but a solution nonetheless.  There are 3 processes (and one driver) associated with this Synaptics touchpad.

64-bit Synaptics Pointing Enhance Service: SynTPEnhService.exe
Synaptics Pointing Device Helper: SynTPHelper.exe
Synaptics TouchPad 64-bit Enhancements: SynTPEnh.exe

They all were installed the latest driver version update from Synaptics.

That being said, I've been trying a new solution for the last day that seems to fix it. I don't know if this is permanent or what other repercussions  this has long term (but it is an EASILY undone fix if it doesn’t work). Since killing (or stopping) the SynTPEnhService.exe seems to fix the problem, I simply permanently stopped it from starting by changing its settings in Task Manager Services from “Automatic” to “Disabled”. Seemed a bit draconian to me to do this, but so far it’s working. Multiple forces “sleeps”. Full restarts. All functions seem OK. I’ve dug through the web looking for an explanation of what the one program does (versus the other 2). Interesting that it’s the only one that the “User” is listed as “System”. The other 2 programs list the logged on user as “User”.

6 Posts

January 11th, 2016 05:00

Hi there! First of all thanks for your reply. I have Dell XPS 13 (9333) and facing exactly with the same problem (gestures on Windows 10 don't work as expected anymore; with Windows 8 this functionality worked perfect, though)... Could you please be so kind and describe all the steps I've to do to fix it in more details? Thanks in advance.

No Events found!