7 Plutonium

RE: Windows 10 upgrade resulted in SD Card reader not working on my Latitude E6430u

Try turning Secure Boot off.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Jon57
1 Nickel

RE: Windows 10 upgrade resulted in SD Card reader not working on my Latitude E6430u

I would like to know if he took my suggestion and downloaded and ran the Dell Command Update.  That program took care of most of my driver issues.  I found a firmware update was needed that was masked as something else.  Just so he knows if he installs the Dell Data Protection he WILL hose the machine completely!

0 Kudos
tomwoc
1 Nickel

Hi Jon and everyone else;

Thank you for the suggestions. I erroneously listed my model number with an E in front but the actual model # is just 6530u.

I ran the Dell Command Update utility and the card reader still doesn't work. In device driver, I found that the smartcard reader is a O2 Micro OZ776 USB CCID and when I tried to update the driver, it said that I already have the best available driver installed.

Working with Dell, the technician remote controlled my Laptop and agreed that it seems that Lenovo still has not updated the driver to work with Windows 7 - so I guess I'm in a holding pattern here.

I will re-post if and when I find the appropriate drive. Meanwhile I bought a USB SD Card reader on ebay for $2.88 (shipped from California, not China) - Media Mart is the vendor that I got it from.

Thanks again,

Tomwoc

0 Kudos
tomwoc
1 Nickel

I meant to say Windows 10 in the 3rd paragraph above (I updated my machine from Win 7 to 10 which caused this issue).

Update: I found another driver for the O2 Micro OZ776 that was version 2.1.4.240 (I had ver 2.1.4.238) so I installed that and the card reader still doesn't work.

Tomwoc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jon57
1 Nickel

Have you looked on both of the other sites, O2 Micro and Lenovo?  Dell is sometimes slow about getting the drivers updated.  For the business class machines they appear to have been a head of the game this time.  Depending on the age of the machine the company, any of them, may not update drivers even though they should.  I found problems with some of my hardware after getting the correct drivers in.  The error message was very misleading as to the issue.  I found I need to update the firmware to resolve the issues.  You might want to look for Chip Set drivers and firmware to see if there are those kind of issues being detected but not addressed correctly.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Did you try turning Secure Boot off in BIOS Setup? If the driver isn't "officially" signed (blessed) by Microsoft, Secure Boot will prevent it from working even if it is the right driver for your hardware.

And let's be clear, a SD card reader is not the same as a Smart Card reader, so drivers for Smart Card readers certainly won't work with an SD card reader. (Smart Card readers are gadgets used to swipe credit cards.)

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
tomwoc
1 Nickel

Thank you ROHE,

Maybe the SD card reader is the PCI express which passed the Dell Diagnostics - it called it the:

OZ600FJ0/OZ900FJ0/OZ600FJS SD/MMC Card Reader Controller - Is this the SD card reader and if so do I need a driver for that which might work with Win 10?

Being somewhat a novice here I do not know how to turn off the Secure Boot in Win 10?

Can you please walk me through it? I googled it and found a bunch of articles about the new Win 10 machines not having the ability to manually turn off the UEFI secure boot.

Thank you,

Tomwoc

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

I don't know if there is -or ever will be- a Win 10 driver for that card reader...

Reboot and IMMEDIATELY press F2 which should open BIOS setup. If you delay pressing F2 for even a tiny bit, Win 10 will boot to the desktop. If that doesn't work, follow the instructions here to enter BIOS setup.

Once in BIOS setup, use the arrow keys to navigate around until you find the Secure Boot option, and set it to disabled. Do not make any other changes. Then exit setup and be sure to save the change. If you think you accidentally changed something other than Secure Boot, you can just exit setup without saving changes so no harm done.

Even with Secure Boot disabled, I still can't promise that any driver for your SD reader will work. If you can find a Win 8.1 driver for that exact SD reader, you might try that one.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
JWM84
1 Copper

I have an Inspiron 7548 and I'm also having the same issue.  I downloaded Dell Command Update and after spending like 10 minutes looking for updates it tells me this app isn't compatible with my system.  What gives, Dell?  

0 Kudos
Jon57
1 Nickel

First off you need to look under your machine type and model in the Downloads and Drivers section to see if Dell released a version for your system.  If not then you are stuck looking for and downloading your drivers manually.  I have not had to work on an Inspiron for a while, so I don't know if there is one.  Second Dell has a poor track record of putting the drivers out for the latest operating system.  Consumer versions of their hardware, Inspiron is one, are usually only supported for a year or so with drivers updated for maybe 3 years but usually only for the operating system originally sold with the system.  If your system is still under warranty or extended warranty call them, their Tech Support people have always been friendly, at least when you get a US based person.  Personally prefer their Chat support as they can send you the web address if there is something you need/want and it is available.  Third if you are like me and need your hardware to last they spend the extra money and buy a business level machine like the Latitude line.  They usually will support these for 3 years and drivers are usually kept up to date for 5 years, with nice add-ins like the Command Update type of software.  They also put out drivers for new operating systems if the system is less than 5 years old.

0 Kudos