Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2010 19:00

Windows 7 Clean Install on a XPS M1530

So i have a XPS M1530 with a Brand New 7200rpm 500 gb Samsung HM500JJ SATA HD, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 CPU, NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT, and 2 Hynix 2GB memory card. im looking to install Windows 7 and i was wondering what exactly id need to do to make it work and run smoothly and allow all the pre loaded components work eg. fingerprint scanner, volume touch keys ect ect.  to work as well. please any and all help is greatly appreciated.

September 3rd, 2010 21:00

my hard drive now with the vista on it has crashed and is now unreadable so i will be starting fresh with a  new hard drive does this make any difference in the install?

5.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2010 21:00

Assuming you have Vista 32 now, doing an upgrade to Win 7 32-bit Home Premium is a snap. The upgrade keeps ALL your installed programs and data. When the upgrade begins, it will scan your machine and ask you to uninstall any programs that it doesn't like. I had six, only one of which I really wanted to keep. The other five were things I didn't really use. The important one was the driver for the wireless LAN. I uninstalled the six, hooked up to the internet by cable and the upgrade proceeded with no problems. The upgrade installed a Win 7 driver for the WLAN. Win 7 contains several million (not exaggerating!) drivers for most current hardware, and will install whatever is needed. Before installing, go to the Nvidia site and download the latest video driver for the 8600M. This driver is compatible with both Vista and Win 7.

After the installation, you may find some programs, such as third party utilities, that will not run. Just go to the programs site and download the latest version and it will run.

Many recommend a clean install and not an upgrade . I DO NOT agree with this unless your machine is so fouled up by malware that it runs poorly.

No Events found!