RChris
3 Argentium

Re: Windows 7 Install on Inspiron 9300--Drivers?

Jump to solution

I had attempted the upgrade to Win 7 from Win XP on my Dell Inspirion 9300 through a clean install since all the guidance I had read suggested that a straight upgrade from the XP OS to the Win 7 OS was not possible. Everything looked like it went OK until I discovered my network adapter was a no go in the Win 7 OS. For whatever reason, I was not able to connect to my network or the internet AT ALL after the upgrade. I messed with it for hours trying to get it to work, but never found anything that worked. Fortunately, I had backed up my HD and recoved the XP OS, so that's what I'm back to now on my 9300. I'd really like to upgrade it to Win 7 to take full advantage of Home Group, becuase as it stands, my Win 7 computers can tap into my XP system fine but the XP computer can't even see my two Win 7 systems on teh same network.

Any ideas or suggestions to make this happen will be greatly appreciated!

That happened to me when I installed the Windows 7 Release Candidate. I went to the Intel support site and downloaded drivers for the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, and that worked for me. 

Did not have to search for any drivers when I clean installed the new Win 7 Upgrade package. Puzzling, huh?!

0 Kudos
snickell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I too installed the 2200BG driver.  It's supposed to be compatible with Win 7.  Other than that, I used all original drivers for my Inspiron 9300.  I also flashed my BIOS as well, but I don't think I needed to do that.  My computer still runs perfectly fine with Win 7.

0 Kudos
waterburyr
1 Copper

Jump to solution

So would you recommend that I download the 2200BG driver to a flash drive, perform a clean install of Win 7 again, and tehn load teh driver after Win 7 is loaded? I suppose it can't hurt to give that a shot huh? What are your thoughts?

0 Kudos
snickell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I would save all of the drivers necessary for your computer to a flash drive.  Re-install a clean version of Win 7, then install the network driver.  Whatever drivers it doesn't find through Windows Update, you can install from your flash drive.

0 Kudos
brucemartin
1 Copper

Jump to solution

That happened to me when I installed the Windows 7 Release Candidate. I went to the Intel support site and downloaded drivers for the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, and that worked for me. 

Did not have to search for any drivers when I clean installed the new Win 7 Upgrade package. Puzzling, huh?!

I want to clean install from XP to Win7.I just went to the Intel site to download the drivers for the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, but can't find them. Apparently Intel has stopped providing any support after 12/31/09, so I just missed it. Do you still have the file you can email to me?

0 Kudos
RChris
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

I think you can use one of these if necessary: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18408&lang=eng

I don't have the one I downloaded for the Win 7 Release Candidate anymore. When I installed the final Win 7 upgrade package, I didn't need to add any drivers... Win 7 seemed to have everything I needed.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Decided to try Windows 7 on my 9300 laptop. So far, pretty good. Performance is fast, but I need a few drivers I can't find:

1. The multimedia audio driver (no sound).  Any ideas where a Vista driver could be found?

2. Can't get the correct resolution on my display with the standard VGA driver in Win 7.  ATI is no help; can't find a Dell driver for Vista for the X300 mobile display adapter.

3. Touchpad only works for moving the mouse pointer; the scroll bars don't work. I assume I need a newer Vista driver for the touchpad software.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

x300 must use the Legacy drivers.  vista drivers would work but only for 32 bit windows.  64 bit windows REQUIRES WHQL certification or  it wont load.  Also the directx 9 is not in win7.  You have to install Directx June 2010 patch run DXSETUP.EXE.

The video driver is this one.  Download  Windows Vista 32-bit

ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Series, Mobility Radeon 9800, Mobility Radeon 9700, Mobility Radeon X600, MobilityRadeon X300, Radeon Mobility X1400, Radeon Mobility X1800, Radeon Mobility X1300, v.8.36-070314a3-045540C-Dell, A04

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
RChris
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Thanks, but this answer came 3 YEARS after the question.  Resolved long ago... Windows Update actually offered an update for the X300 which worked fine.

0 Kudos
aridel123
1 Copper

RE: Windows 7 Install on Inspiron 9300--Drivers?

Jump to solution

megusta