Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2011 02:00

Windows 7 Upgrade won't activate after reinastall

Hi,

I had a system crash and had to format and reinstall my OS. As i was upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista I installed Vista first and then went through the Windows 7 upgrade process again. All seemed well until a week later when it has now asked me to activate and provide the product key. Now, i'm sure I didn't have to do this in the first place and am also pretty sure i was not sent a product key with the upgrade discs, so I am at  a loss as to how i am supposed to activate when this is a fully legit version of Windows 7 I am trying to run!!

Can anyone shed any light on this??

thanks in advance

8 Posts

November 7th, 2011 04:00

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

An Orange Upgrade CD is Windows 7 Home Premium Family pack and did not come from Dell.

That version of windows will not activate on more than 3 machines.

You would have to call microsoft and get a new Key.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

atoone,

The upgrade disks that were provided by Dell, had a product key on them to upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista. The product key will work only for the system it was installed and used on.

Rick

8 Posts

Hi Rick, thanks for taking the time to reply. However, do you mean that the upgrade key should be actually printed on the orange upgrade cd?

8 Posts

November 7th, 2011 05:00

Looks like the picture i tred to post above didn't work. The CD is definitely a Dell Upgrade CD, amongst the text on the CD is as below, however there is no product key -

OPERATING SYSTEM

Windows 7 Upgrade Option

Windows Vista Home PRemium to Windows 7 Home Premium

(c)2009 Dell Inc

8 Posts

November 8th, 2011 02:00

Has anyone else come across this problem? I am quite positive i was not sent a separate product key and there is nothing printed on the CD as has been suggested.  I do not like the idea of having to fork out another £100 for a license when i already legally own one :-(

8 Posts

November 8th, 2011 03:00

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

atoone,

I have contacted a Dell Liaison and they can tell what disks were send out.

My upgrade was purple with a product key.

My Dell OEM disk for this computer is black.

Waiting to see what the Dell Liaison can find out.

Rick

8 Posts

Thanks Rick, i've just reposted the pic of my disc above, as it didn't work last time. Looking forward to hearing what the Dell liason says.

adam

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Adam,

Excuse the blurryiness. I just went to the closet and look for the disk. You are correct, mine does match yours. There is a product key on the sleeve.

Rick

8 Posts

November 8th, 2011 05:00

Thanks for your help Rick. As it was on a paper sleeve I just turned my house over but still could not find it. So, i gave Microsoft a call, thinking it was a long shot. The guy asked for the part number of the cd - which didn't en evmatch the format he expected, but he still then somehow generated a product key for an OEM upgrade, unsure whether it would work, but it did!!!! Easy as that!!

So thanks for your help anyway but who would have thought Microsoft could be so helpful :-)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 8th, 2011 09:00

Adam,

Please write that number down.

You might want to run Belarc Advisor and get all your product keys and print the information.

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!