Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2009 18:00

Windows 7 on Inspiron 1720

Does anyone know if Dell will support Win7 on the Inspiron 1720?  It seems to me that more manufacturers simply don't support their computers on anything other than the OS in use at the time the computer was sold.  Most likely this is an attempt to sell more hardware, however the Inspiron 1720 should run Win7 just fine, at least in terms of the necessary horsepower and memory (2.4 GHz Core2 Duo with 4 GB RAM) on my machine.  And considering Win7 is really "Vista like it should have been" and the 1720 was certified for Vista and considering that Microsoft has been working on increasing backwards compatibility and support for existing hardware, which Vista didn't do so well, I'm not seeing any big roadblocks to using Win7 except, perhaps, Dell's desire for us NOT to do that and instead just purchase another computer.  Has there been any info released from Dell on running (or not) Win7 on the 1720?

Thanks in advance,

Russell

3 Posts

October 27th, 2009 10:00

Thank you for your fast and informative response :)

I first will try the x86 clean install Windows 7. Later I will try the x64 install.

Have a nice day!

zx81

3 Posts

October 28th, 2009 22:00

Back again. Got it !  I managed to get BIOS A09 installed, and Windows7. Super Easy

In order to get BIOS version A09 loaded on your Dell 1720 Laptop, copy this link:

Just hit the blue download button, and follow the instructions. Reboot machine.  Install Windows 7.

DONE!

Win7 so far is a HUGE improvement over Vista.  Noticably much faster.

Same over here, clean install Windows 7 x64 almost everything works out of the box.

Only video driver installed (NVidea Geforce 8600M GT, and Aero enabled.

In device manager only a minor advice is not installed, I am still figuring out what it is. I can make Windows 7 fix this automaticaly, but I first want to understand the fix.

All in all, Windows 7 looks and feel awesome!

Have a nice day!

zx81

20 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 06:00

Hello All...

I'm sure it has been posted elsewhere in the forum, but I didn't see it here.  I found the appropriate video drivers for the 8600M GT on the nVidia website as follows:

32-bit Windows 7: http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_winvista_win7_186.81_whql.html

64-bit Windows 7: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_191.07_whql.html

I installed the 32-bit version of Windows 7 on the Dell Inspiron 1720 without any issues so far.  The upgrade option with a clean install was a little bit of a pain.  I wanted to keep the original drive intact until I determined if everything would work.  It installed just fine with the clean hard drive but I couldn't get it to activate.  It said I could only upgrade with this key.  I did some searching and found out that I needed something on the drive before I did it (even if you are doing a clean install).  As I had already had this un-activated Win7 installed, I choose to try re-installing from this point using the key.  I was surprise to find that it worked right through my issue of activation.  During the second install, I told it to delete the hard drive for a clean install.  I guess M$ just wanted to make it a nuisance thing as they are not apparently looking very deep at the previous installation.

For better or worse, I choose to install the 32-bit version because Dell isn't supporting Windows 7 on the Inspiron 1720.  I figured that I could always get the 32-bit Vista drivers to work that are on the Dell website.

I am terribly concern with hardware manufactures continually dropping software support way before the life expectancy of the hardware to consumers.  I have seen it done with Apple, HP, Dell, and many others.  I have a Gen5.5 Video ipod that I am positive could support the newer software enhancements found on later models.  I bought this Inspiron 1720 about a year ago, so “End of Life” to Dell must be just as soon as they bring out a newer model.  They have their marketing reasons for doing all this to us, but I think that I am going to start really paying attention and giving more of my business to companies that completely support their equipment for a longer period of time.  I don’t know who they are yet; but when they figure out how much business they can draw-in by doing this, they will become number 1 in our hearts and against their competitors.  Oh; another point here, why should I buy a 4 year warrantee if I have to replace the PC every year or so to keep up with the software support.  Hmmm...  Maybe I should stick that money in the bank for the next PC purchase.  Silly me for buying it!  ;-)  I won't do that again.  Maybe only 1yr and 2yr at the most for me from now on.

I am curious if anyone finds a reason that they need to install any other drivers for the Inspiron 1720 other than the video driver.  For example, I don't really know yet if the web-cam is working.  I see it listed but I don't know if it works.  I don't want to install any Vista drivers and/or applications that I don't need.

Thanks...

4 Posts

November 4th, 2009 06:00

Dcgtls and all else, forgive me if I responded in the wrong format/area, but I'm new here and I'm trying to help my wife with a problem she's haveing with her 1720.  I may not have all the particulars but here's what I do know:

She "was" running Windows Vista and wanted to upgrade to Windows 7.  She tried to load it and when the system stated it was ready to re-boot, it never did.  It would start, get to the black screen with the bar running across the bottom and that's it.  We're not that savy with computer but we did try to unistall 7, restart Vista, recover Vista, nothing we tried worked.  I've trie to start inthe safe mode, command promt, restore to last point, nothing works.

The system came with pre-loaded software but we do have the disks that came with the purchase.  Is there anything we can do, check, or try to get get her laptop up and running again with either Vista or windows 7?  Thanks in advance.

2 Posts

November 4th, 2009 07:00

I actually made an account to answer your question. I had exactly the same problem and it drove me nuts. You cand simply solve your problem by inserting the drivers cd on that window after the installation begins. It says something like ''Load Drivers'' in it, i`m not sure, been a while. Vista/Win 7 need tha SATA drivers from there. Just pop in the cd, select Load Drivers, accept the one loaded and there your go, proceed installing. Hope this helps

4 Posts

November 4th, 2009 11:00

Geronim007, thanks for rapid response.  Wow!  :emotion-3:   I'll give it a try tonight when I get home.  I want to make sure I understand your guidance correctly - I assume I would I insert the "Drivers" disk at the "blank screen" after the loading of the software.  Is that correct?  Or do I have it out of sequence? 

4 Posts

November 4th, 2009 13:00

Hey Guys, I posted earlier, about installing Win7 on my Dell 1720, 32bit.  Here is what I have been doing, and so far, I haven't had any problems at all.  Really smooth, and I have zero complaints.

I loaded Win7 home edition full version into the drive, told it to wipe everything and fresh clean install. After that, I used all the most recent divers from dell for the 1720 on their website.  I got my scroll function back on trackpad, got a few dell programs I used to have back, and everything works just like it used to, just with windows7 and so much faster.  I feel like this is the machine i should have had when I opened it from the box.

The most recent drivers for 1720 can be found here:

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?spf=Inspiron&ssysid=INS_PNT_PM_1720&ssysn=1720&s=gen&c=ca&l=en&cs=&ec=&ira=False&cat=sup&subcat=dyd&rf=all&evl=&nk=f&k=1720+laptop&p=1&nf=&rpp=12&sort=K&%7Esrd=False&ipsys=False&advsrch=False&p=1

2 Posts

November 5th, 2009 01:00

Sorry for the late response but we are on different timezones. Way different timezones (11:10 AM here now). You insert the windows installation disk, boot from it, proceed installation and you will see a blank window with a Load Drivers button. You take out the windows disk, put the drivers disk in and load the needed drivers from there ( it finds the drivers automatically). After that, put the windows installation disk back and continue installing. I`m pretty sure i did this steps last time. Give it a try.

4 Posts

November 6th, 2009 11:00

Geronim007, still no luck on getting the laptop up and running again.  :emotion-9:.  I'll try a few more time this weekend to be sure.  I'll also re-read the replies I've received on this forum to ensure I'm doing all the right moves.  Hell if all else fails I'll have to take it in and let a "Geek" (..and I say it with love), look at it for me.  Enjoy the weekend!

4 Posts

November 9th, 2009 07:00

Situation Update - Well after attempting to right the wrong that my computer has at the moment, I came to the conclusion I lackde the knowledge to do anymore than I already have.  So, I took it to a local computer repair shop to be corrected. 

Thanks again for all the information and support.  Will use this site more in the future and reccommend it to others too.  Cheers!

12 Posts

April 29th, 2010 16:00

I've found it runs fine, but I miss the buttons that no longer work.  None of the blue fn buttons seem to work anymore, nor does the wifi catcher.  It's loaded and says it's working, but the button that used to activate it doesn't do so anymore.  Anyone found a solution to this?

6 Posts

May 31st, 2010 09:00

Have you installed the system disks from Dell that you got with the 1720...ie. programs, drivers etc? In particular, for all of my functions to work I had to load them in the order that the manual indicated.  Disk set is available (1 set each) from Dell for a nominal cost.

July 5th, 2010 10:00

I have an Inspiron 1720, with (I believe) 2gig ram, and at least 30 gig spare hard drive space.

I purchased the upgrade for windows 7, and was advised to do a total install, not just the upgrade.  When I loaded the first disc, which was to check my laptop, I got the message that my laptop is not eligible for upgrade to windows 7. 

Does anyone have any idea what gives?  I've only had this laptop for 18 months, and if I can't upgrade, it seems like a HUGE waste of money.  I would have been better off with an HP.  Did I do anything wrong, or what can I do?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 5th, 2010 10:00

Vista is the only operating system that can be upgraded in the sense of that word - what OS is on the system now?

With 32- to 64 or XP or earlier, you have to back up your files, install and then reload your files - the 7 upgrade DVD will not upgrade those operating systems.

July 5th, 2010 13:00

I have Vista home premium on my 1720.  I think it's 64 bit, but when the first disc scans my laptop, it says I

don't meet the minimum technical requirements to upgrade.  The minimum are 2 gig ram, and 30 gig hard drive, both

of which I have, so I am very confused.

No Events found!