geronim007
1 Copper

Re: Windows 7 on Inspiron 1720

Jump to solution

I actually made an account to answer your question. I had exactly the same problem and it drove me nuts. You cand simply solve your problem by inserting the drivers cd on that window after the installation begins. It says something like ''Load Drivers'' in it, i`m not sure, been a while. Vista/Win 7 need tha SATA drivers from there. Just pop in the cd, select Load Drivers, accept the one loaded and there your go, proceed installing. Hope this helps

0 Kudos
Hugster
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Geronim007, thanks for rapid response.  Wow!  emoticon.Surprise.title   I'll give it a try tonight when I get home.  I want to make sure I understand your guidance correctly - I assume I would I insert the "Drivers" disk at the "blank screen" after the loading of the software.  Is that correct?  Or do I have it out of sequence? 

MrKean
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hey Guys, I posted earlier, about installing Win7 on my Dell 1720, 32bit.  Here is what I have been doing, and so far, I haven't had any problems at all.  Really smooth, and I have zero complaints.

I loaded Win7 home edition full version into the drive, told it to wipe everything and fresh clean install. After that, I used all the most recent divers from dell for the 1720 on their website.  I got my scroll function back on trackpad, got a few dell programs I used to have back, and everything works just like it used to, just with windows7 and so much faster.  I feel like this is the machine i should have had when I opened it from the box.

The most recent drivers for 1720 can be found here:

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?spf=Inspiron&ssysid=INS_PNT_PM_1720&ssysn=1720&s=gen&c=ca&l=en&c...

0 Kudos
geronim007
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Sorry for the late response but we are on different timezones. Way different timezones (11:10 AM here now). You insert the windows installation disk, boot from it, proceed installation and you will see a blank window with a Load Drivers button. You take out the windows disk, put the drivers disk in and load the needed drivers from there ( it finds the drivers automatically). After that, put the windows installation disk back and continue installing. I`m pretty sure i did this steps last time. Give it a try.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hugster
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Geronim007, still no luck on getting the laptop up and running again.  :emotion-9:.  I'll try a few more time this weekend to be sure.  I'll also re-read the replies I've received on this forum to ensure I'm doing all the right moves.  Hell if all else fails I'll have to take it in and let a "Geek" (..and I say it with love), look at it for me.  Enjoy the weekend!

0 Kudos
Hugster
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Situation Update - Well after attempting to right the wrong that my computer has at the moment, I came to the conclusion I lackde the knowledge to do anymore than I already have.  So, I took it to a local computer repair shop to be corrected. 

Thanks again for all the information and support.  Will use this site more in the future and reccommend it to others too.  Cheers!

0 Kudos
Stevecfo
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've found it runs fine, but I miss the buttons that no longer work.  None of the blue fn buttons seem to work anymore, nor does the wifi catcher.  It's loaded and says it's working, but the button that used to activate it doesn't do so anymore.  Anyone found a solution to this?

0 Kudos
Joensab
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Have you installed the system disks from Dell that you got with the 1720...ie. programs, drivers etc? In particular, for all of my functions to work I had to load them in the order that the manual indicated.  Disk set is available (1 set each) from Dell for a nominal cost.

GrantCarman
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have an Inspiron 1720, with (I believe) 2gig ram, and at least 30 gig spare hard drive space.

I purchased the upgrade for windows 7, and was advised to do a total install, not just the upgrade.  When I loaded the first disc, which was to check my laptop, I got the message that my laptop is not eligible for upgrade to windows 7. 

Does anyone have any idea what gives?  I've only had this laptop for 18 months, and if I can't upgrade, it seems like a HUGE waste of money.  I would have been better off with an HP.  Did I do anything wrong, or what can I do?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Vista is the only operating system that can be upgraded in the sense of that word - what OS is on the system now?

With 32- to 64 or XP or earlier, you have to back up your files, install and then reload your files - the 7 upgrade DVD will not upgrade those operating systems.

0 Kudos