Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2009 18:00

Windows 7 on Inspiron 1720

Does anyone know if Dell will support Win7 on the Inspiron 1720?  It seems to me that more manufacturers simply don't support their computers on anything other than the OS in use at the time the computer was sold.  Most likely this is an attempt to sell more hardware, however the Inspiron 1720 should run Win7 just fine, at least in terms of the necessary horsepower and memory (2.4 GHz Core2 Duo with 4 GB RAM) on my machine.  And considering Win7 is really "Vista like it should have been" and the 1720 was certified for Vista and considering that Microsoft has been working on increasing backwards compatibility and support for existing hardware, which Vista didn't do so well, I'm not seeing any big roadblocks to using Win7 except, perhaps, Dell's desire for us NOT to do that and instead just purchase another computer.  Has there been any info released from Dell on running (or not) Win7 on the 1720?

Thanks in advance,

Russell

4 Posts

October 26th, 2009 16:00

Just purchased Windows 7 Home Premium on DVD.  Tried to install, got error message as follows: Windows cannot be installed on this computer with the current system BIOS version. Contact your computer manufacturer for a BIOS update, install the update, and then start Windows installation again. OEM Name: Dell Inc.; OEM Model: Inspiron 1720 ; BIOS Version: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A08; BIOS Date: 20080421000000.000000+000

I did that, searched Dell, and installed the latest BIOS for the Inspirion 1720 laptop.  Rebooted.  Win 7 Still wont install. 

4 Posts

October 28th, 2009 18:00

Back again. Got it !  I managed to get BIOS A09 installed, and Windows7. Super Easy

In order to get BIOS version A09 loaded on your Dell 1720 Laptop, copy this link:

Just hit the blue download button, and follow the instructions. Reboot machine.  Install Windows 7.

DONE!

Win7 so far is a HUGE improvement over Vista.  Noticably much faster.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

July 29th, 2009 19:00

No software is warrantied by the manufacturer after a short initial period--30 days or so. Only the hardware is covered by the warranty and Dell will support that. Dell doesn't make the software or operating systems. There will be plenty of self help tools and Internet support from MS and in forums like this and elsewhere. And from my experience with Win7, it doesn't need much support. Runs great on my 2 desktops.

If you are running Vista, your computer will run Win 7. If you want to check, download the Win 7 beta version of Upgrade Advisor. Most  utility software like anti virus still is not ready for Win 7 but that will change by the time it comes out. Win 7 even runs OK on some computers that couldn't run vista.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 29th, 2009 19:00

There's nothing that will stop you from running 7 on the 1720 - but don't expect Dell to support it.  The system went end of life some time ago, and end of life systems do not get future OS support.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 12th, 2009 18:00

You will see more drivers available once 7 ships in late-October.

There was a time when notebooks sold for $2,500 on average and manufacturers could afford to test new OSes on older models and release full support.  That time passed when the average selling price dropped to under $1,000 - no one could possibly afford the cost of supporting older systems on new OSes any longer.  The margins on new systems have dropped markedly and the money just isn't there to spend on testing any longer.

31 Posts

Thanks, Mary.  Do you have any specific suggestions?  It sounds like I could start with the Vista drivers and then go from there.  I'm not needing to go to Win7 right away, but I'd be interested in doing it before the end of the year.

BTW, is there a way to get email notifications on postings to these threads.  I'm looking around and not seeing it, but maybe I'm just missing it.

31 Posts

Thanks, ejn63.  I guess they won't support it.  That certainly helps them sell more hardware (in their minds, at least).  However, if they were customer focused, then they'd realize the value in doing this.  As it is, what they are saying is "forget about upgrading to the new OS - just buy another machine with it pre-installed."  In other words, don't get real value from your computer, just use it for a short period and buy another one from us.  I buy a new computer every two years, but I still make use of the old one for another two years or so.  I'd like it to run the latest OS, however.  Perhaps it won't be too tough to install and run Win7, but Dell's refusal to help in this matter doesn't make me want to get another Dell.

On another point, what do you do with 62,000 points?  What does that get you?  Discounts, freebies, anything?  Just curious.

940 Posts

August 12th, 2009 20:00

I have been running Windows 7 64bit on my 1720 since Feb. of this year and it works great. Have it plugged into your network so that it sees the internet while you are doing the install and it will install almost every driver you need all by itself. I did have to use a few Vista 64 drivers that I found on Dell.com and it has worked without any problems in both Beta and the RC. When the RTM is released in Oct. I will be installing that and have full confidence that it will work just as well.

1 Message

August 21st, 2009 21:00

I am trying to install Windows 7 64-bit version on my 1720.  I have everything working except the video driver for the GeForce 8600.  I noticed you said you found drivers and I was hoping you could point me in the same direction as I have been unable to find 64-bit drivers.

I would appreciate any assistance.

940 Posts

August 22nd, 2009 00:00

Windows 7 installed the correct driver for the 8600. Like I said, when I installed Windows 7 I had it plugged into the network and it connected to Microsoft and found almost every driver for me. But if for some reason it did not then you can try running windows update or just installing the Vista 64 driver from Dell for the card. Alot of the Vista drivers will install just fine for Windows 7.

3 Posts

October 10th, 2009 11:00

Hi that's good news as I have the same configuration. Are there any step by step details as how to upgrade to Win 7 with a fresh install.

I am going to install it on a brand new hard drive. Thanks.

3 Posts

October 26th, 2009 21:00

I have the same problem with the BIOS when attempting to install Win 7 Premium on my Inspiron 1720 :-(

940 Posts

October 26th, 2009 23:00

Well I have A09 installed on my 1720 running Windows 7 RC 64bit. I am still waiting for my RTM copy and plan to install that as soon as I have it.

3 Posts

October 27th, 2009 02:00

Hello dcgtls,

What kind of setup did you use, a clean install of windows 7 x64 or a upgrade install?

If possible, I like to know what drivers you used.

Have a nice day,

zx81

940 Posts

October 27th, 2009 10:00

I did a clean install, but like I said it was the Release Candidate and not the final release. I am waiting for my copy still. As for the drivers I let windows install everything that it could. I would have to go and check but I think the only thing that did not install was the Dell Bluetooth 355 and I just found a Vista 64 driver for it and that worked.

No Events found!