Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2009 21:00

Windows 7 on Inspiron 600m

Does anyone know which driver to install to make the network controller (and the internet) functional?  I have a Dell Inspiron 600m, and i upgraded to windows 7, which apparently was not intended for the 600m.  If anyone has any ideas, please share.

I have already tried installing the XP drivers.  this does not seem to work.

Thanks!

4.6K Posts

December 9th, 2009 04:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

It's not what you're wanting to hear - I know, but (IMO) it was a mistake installing Windows 7 on such a low spec 6 year old laptop, when there aren't even Vista drivers available for it (from Dell at least) :emotion-3:

You're probably on your own in regards to getting [working] Windows 7 drivers for it I'm afraid?

It's unlikely there are many - if any other Inspiron 600m owners on the forums, who've installed Windows 7 in the first place... never mind found working drivers for it :emotion-6:

For those reasons, I'd recommend going back to XP :emotion-55:

3 Posts

January 10th, 2010 16:00

Actually I've been running Vista32 on the Inspiron 600m for several years and it works great. I did upgrade the HD to 160GB and memory to 2GB for this to work. Wireless drivers... got an external card so not relying on internal but remember that it worked the couple of times I removed the external NIC = try Intel driver 1.2.5.37 for LAN 2100 wireless adapter. Or just get an external card. 

Hope that works for you... 

Am debating upgrading to Win7 now... if it works on Vista32 then 7 should work too. 

4 Posts

January 28th, 2010 14:00

I successfully upgraded my Inspiron 600m to Windows 7 recently.  It has 1GB memory, which is probably minimal to run Win7.  2GB would be better, but it's very expensive, and probably not worth it.   

The Broadcom ethernet driver is from Microsoft V10.100.4.0 04/26/09.  The Intel PRO/Wireless LAN driver is from Intel V1.2.2.37 08/05/06 .  Networking works just fine.  I don't recall whether these were the same as for XP or Win7 installed them automatically.

While it's true that this is not a terribly powerful computer and is more than 5 years old, it's a myth that just for those reasons you can't/shouldn't upgrade to Win7.  Dell says they don't even support Win7 on our barely 1 year old XPS 420.  Well, that ugprade also went fine and we are quite happy with the new o/s without having to replace one-year-old hardware, thank you very much.  Costco had a good deal on a 4-computer Win7 Home Premium upgrade.

It's not a speed demon, but everything works just fine, except for displaying video files in Media Center.  Video files seem to work in Windows Media Player, but not Media Center, where I get a "Video error."  Recorded TV has the same results, except in WMP I get a message about being low on memory, which is probably the true issue.  Anyway, the Homegroup networking and integration with Windows Media Center on the wireless home network a significant improvement over Vista and XP.

DGB

Vostro 1720

Inspiron 600m

XPS 420

All on Win 7 now.

3 Posts

January 28th, 2010 18:00

DGB: good to hear. thanks for sharing that info. Were you running Vista on your 600m prior to upgrading to WIn 7? If so, did you notice a speed improvement?

1 Message

March 18th, 2010 16:00

Hi "azfink"!

I am here to assist you. I am a techy & have been for the past few years... I am only 18 & i love helping people out with computer problems; either it be hardware or software (drivers, programs, etc.) I love doing it for free.

Right now I'm fixing a laptop for a mental health organization NAMI. I myself have a mental instability; i hade a mental breakdown when i was 15. Anyways i tried putting Windows 7 R.C. on it & it works fine.

The only things you need to do are go to

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_600M&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

for all the drivers u need to download.

The wifi driver on this website didn't work so i went to download

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+WiFi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+PRO%2fWireless+2200BG+Network+Connection

also you have a service tag on the bottom of your laptop and if you use that with this website & it will choose what you need for your laptop.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=anavml

If it helps i'm glad. When you download the lan & wifi drivers put them on a flash drive,disc, or hardrive, etc. and install it onto the laptop. Then all you need to do is right click my computer; then click manage, then click device manager. There will be a list of unknown devices right click each of those & click update driver. and click the first option Search automically for updated driver software..... But, you need to b sure that your computer is connected to the internet after you have installed it onto the laptop. Enjoy! :D

1 Message

May 30th, 2010 15:00

Wow that was a helpful post. - NOT!

I hate reading such condescending posts from users that don't know how to answer the question.

So, to actually answer your question, it is absolutely possible to run Win 7 on the 600m and it runs quite well. it is a great laptop and with the addition of more RAM it outperforms many newer laptops that ship with Win 7. The drivers needed are the Vista drivers from Dell's website. The Wireless drivers need to be downloaded from Intel's website. The ATI vista drivers work but you do not get some of the UI features due to the lack of DirectX 10 support.

Otherwise I highly recommend it.

Kelvin Krastel
CIO
RBR Solutions

1 Message

September 10th, 2010 17:00

Hey everyone,

I was experience lag issues with my 600m on XP and decided to do a reformat and install Windows 7. So far the computer is running great, internet works as it should, etc. I'm having a couple issues though, one that I would like addressed sooner than later.

I have no audio at all. When I try downloading the audio driver via my service tag from Dell's site it isn't working. I'm somewhat computer savvy but not enough to know all the tricks to getting drivers meant for XP to work on Windows 7.  I've heard of some sort of compatibility feature within the driver to make it work but not sure how to do it correctly, since I tried and failed.

The other issue which is minor for now is the battery, though relatively newer, doesn't last more than maybe an hour unplugged from full charge. Not too sure what's sucking it dry this fast. I have no running issues or key issues with this laptop and don't want an excuse to buy something new just yet.

I also have an issue playing windows media player files now for some reason. Please help before I go back to XP. Thanks!

August 8th, 2011 04:00

I have a 600m and it is running windows 7 32-bit just fine.  I did the DriverDetective thing and it found and installed all my drivers and all is working well.  For my system it was the Broadcom 57XX driver that worked.  I have no errors and the system is running fast and without incident.  The only thing I don't have is AERO because the system's graphic's card driver is not WDDM capable since it is an ATI Radeon Mobility 9000. I have 2GB in it so it is performing very well and mine is a Centrino 1.7 processor.  This system runs faster on Window7 then it did on Windows XP or Vista.

3 Posts

October 10th, 2012 20:00

Can't seem to find those particular drivers, no matter How much I search..
And I'm getting no-place fast.. 
They are what I need to make this little unit work for me!
Any way you can post a link to them??
Or make a file for download? Would make my day!!
2 days searching, cuts into my brewski drinking time...Way too much..
Any help would be great!! Anyone, Dell techs??
600M 2G ram, 500G HD..
Any suggestions on a better wifi card?! or a Dongle?!?

ST 

3 Posts

October 10th, 2012 20:00

That reply was to DGBSF post...anyone got something else???

3 Posts

October 11th, 2012 10:00

Swapped out the Ontel for a TP -Link one, goes up to N and installed in seconds, win 7 drivers, all done!

Cost??$21 with tax..DO it,....wasted hours with the intel old one..

1 Message

February 11th, 2015 10:00

INSTALL WIN 7, IN ANOTHER PC

visit this page:http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/dell/laptops-desktops/inspiron-600m/2827

download ETHERNET CONTROLLER, BROADCOM. UNZIP THE FILE realtek_rtl_81xx_netcard_7086_0508_2014_win7

APPEAR THIS FOLDER

INTO THIS FOLDER APPEAR ELEVEN FILES. COPY EVERYTHIN FILE EXCEP THE NOTE FILE AND PASTE INTO C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM

RESTART YOUR LAP AND CONECT THE ETHERNET CABLE AND YOU CAN OPEN INTERNET.

THE REST CONTROLLER THE SAME OPERATION.

WITH MY BEST REGARDS

1 Message

April 3rd, 2015 06:00

i am lodging win-7 32bit but no sound driver not installation.

April 3rd, 2015 08:00

Go into Device Manager and find the unknown drivers, uninstall them entirely following the prompts. Exit Device Manager.  Now go to run Windows Update and force as many installs as you can, restarting when appropriate.  Keep checking for updates and check again after you receive "No Updates" message.  If you get additional updates install them and keep going until no more come up after you have checked when you check again.  Now Go to Device Manager and see if there is sound installed by Microsoft.  If so, you are good.  If not, now go to the dell.com website and put in your service tag and look for drivers for windows VISTA for your laptop.  Use those instead of the XP Drivers.  Download and install the sound card driver for Windows Vista for your laptop.

No Events found!