newkodabear
6 Indium

Windows 8.1 upgrade cannot boot

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R SE that we have automatic updates turned on.  The computer was turned off and the automatic update of 8.1 seemed to occur, however, whenever I try to boot up, I get the following message on a blue screen:

Your PC ran into Problem and it needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.

If you'd like to know more you can search online later for this error. 0xc000021a

I ran diagnostics from the boot menu and also let it try automatically repair in the troubleshoot menu, but problem remains.  I also tried to boot in safe mode, but this does not work and it gets the same error.

The diagnostics showed NO issues with the hardware.

What are the next steps?  I have content, music, pictures, etc. I do not want to lose.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: Windows 8.1 upgrade cannot boot

Hi newkodabear,

It appears to be a corruption with Windows and we need to perform clean installation of the Windows to fix the issue. This process will include data loss. You may remove the hard drive from the system and connect it to a External Hard Drive Enclosure with Integrated USB Cable. Then you will need to connect it to another system using the USB connection and backup the data. If you are not comfortable to do so, you may contact any technician or a local computer store to do this for you.

Once you have the data backed up, you may use the recovery media to reinstall the Windows on the system. After the Windows is re-installed, you will need to perform complete Windows updates and then update the BIOS as well. Once done, you may upgrade the system to Windows 8.1.

Please reply if you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards
Saharsh K
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA; India. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.
0 Kudos
newkodabear
6 Indium

This seems like a last resort solution -- isn't there a less risky solution?  Does Windows 8 / Dell recovery have a restore to last known working configuration?  Why would what seems to be a simple upgrade from a point release of Windows 8 get so messed up?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi newkodabear,

You may follow the below mentioned steps and reset the system back to factory settings:

• Shut down the computer.
  • Power On the system.
  • Power Off the system at Dell Logo with “rolling dots” at the bottom of the screen.
  • Repeat the above steps 2-3 times/.
  • Click ‘Troubleshoot’.
  • Click the Dell Backup and Recovery icon.

• The system restarts and comes back up, click Next on the Dell Backup and Recovery Screen.

• The system would be checked to see if the smart repair option can fix the issue, click Next once this is done.

• You will be prompted to select the backup to be used, click the factory image option or select from one of the backups. Click Next.

• You will be prompted to backup your files, if needed do so by selecting the option Yes, backup my personal files (Make sure to have an external backup hard drive handy.) or select No, Erase my files.

• The system goes ahead and completes the restore of the operating system. Click Restart when prompted.

• Follow the on-screen instructions to setup the system with windows.

This process leads to data loss, please backup the data. Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards
Saharsh K
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA; India. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.
0 Kudos