chrismt01
2 Bronze

Windows 8 Drivers

I recently bought a Dell XPS Lx502s and I was wondering if we will get driver updates for Windows 8?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
8 Xenon

Re: Windows 8 Drivers

Probably, but since the OS isn't being released to the public for over two more months, it'll be a while.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
like_a_wombat
1 Copper

Windows 8 is available now to MSDN subscribers (and Technet too I think)

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

That may be true, but it's not going to have official support until October 26 -- and this being a model that will likely be gone by then, it may take a while for Windows 8 drivers to appear.

0 Kudos
like_a_wombat
1 Copper

The whole idea of the release on MSDN, which is also known as the RTM version, no not read the manual, but "Released to Manufacturers" is so as companies like Dell can include drivers for it now. If you buy a PC/laptop today, there's the upgrade to Windows 8 offer: there should be zero delay from manufacturers on customers taking up that offer. Zero !

And let's not forget Dell sells a lot of it's higher end notebooks and desktop PC's to software developers, architects, IT people etc. These people also need to be testing things as soon as possible. If these people have Dell systems fail for months, I can guarantee you they will add that to the list of reasons to shop elsewhere for the next round of purchases.

You may be right, Dell might indeed be slow to release drivers, but companies like Toshiba & Lenovo are definitely releasing drivers already.

0 Kudos
chrismt01
2 Bronze

This is pathetic

Why do I have a i7 processor and a 2GB graphics card and 8GB ram and I can't still use Windows 8 properly because Dell isn't going to release drivers?

I am leaving Dell and going over to Lenovo because they always update their drivers even for very old laptops.

But I will wait till October to see if anything comes up. Right now I am reading this on Windows 8 and it feels horrible. My eyes are paining.
0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Dell is not Microsoft or Intel.  

WDDM 1.1 Drivers should work for most basic things.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

PlaySFB
1 Copper

Which version of Windows 8 do you have on this machine? Even if it is RTM, you can not expect it to work on your particular hardware configuration right out of the gate.  RTM means Release to Manufacturer - so the manufacturer can finalize drivers for a finished operating system.

If it is paining your eyes, maybe you should convert back to Windows 7 or other until acceptable drivers are released for your particular machine.

0 Kudos

WDDM 1.1 drivers DONT work well enough for most things - on a Vostro 3700 I cannot access my discrete graphics, wireless is dreadful, no bluetooth and no fingerprint reader, om Zoostorm Tablet - everything works - go figure, Dell takes your money and hangs you out to dry - probably bitter about Surface 🙂
0 Kudos
dgkpcon
5 Tungsten

Dell did not hang anybody out to dry.YOU chose to install a release candidate of a new OS that is NOT supported for another month or so.Why is it Dells fault??This is the problem with 80% of the public,they see a new OS coming out and decide to install (even though it is not the official OS yet) and do not do there homework on the specs the system you are installing can even function with it at the moment.

E1705 T7400 2.16Ghz / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" LG WUXGA 1920 X 1200 / 4GB 667Mhz Geil Ram w/Heatspreaders / Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 7200RPM / 500GB 7200RPM My Book / Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS 256MB / Toshiba DVD/CD+/-RW DL / Intel 4965 A/B/G/N / 355 Bluetooth 2.0+EDR / Pinnacle Pro HDTV USB Tuner / Pinnacle Ultimate HDTV USB Tuner / Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced MB / Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio Notebook / Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers / 2-NB-MA01 Notebook Coolers / 3D Mark06 5446 / Driver v.174.31 /

XPS M1730 Saphire Blue X9000 @ 3.2 / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 / Matshita BD\DVD Combo / 8GB 800Mhz Geil RAM / 500GB>200GB 7200RPM / 9800M GTX SLI / AGEIA PhysX Accelerator / Intel 4965 / 355 Bluetooth / 5700 Mobile Broadband / 3D Mark06 16250 /Driver 275.50 beta

XPS Gen 4 Desktop>being rebuilt

0 Kudos