Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2012 05:00

Windows 8 Drivers

I recently bought a Dell XPS Lx502s and I was wondering if we will get driver updates for Windows 8?

3 Posts

August 21st, 2012 05:00

Other manufacturers already put up Windows 8 drivers, so it's perfectly fair to ask the same from Dell. At least updated Synaptics touchpad drivers which allow proper interaction with Windows 8.

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 08:00

I wouldn't use nVidia as an example. Their latest driver only supports the release preview, not the RTM:

"This is a WHQL-certified GeForce driver to be used only with the Microsoft Windows 8 Release Preview."

You could however go to http://laptopvideo2go.com/ to find drivers with tweaked INF files to support mobile cards.

August 22nd, 2012 08:00

+MSGALE - nVidia has released drivers, but for some insane reason the Dell Hardware won't use them - very frustrating

23 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 19:00

Lenovo here I come

Lenovo has released some drivers and Bios updates already

support.lenovo.com/.../detail.page

23 Posts

August 24th, 2012 05:00

I have installed Windows 8 RTM and I can see that all the default drivers are dated 2006 :/ Even the USB driver is wrong. I wish Dell released updates for Dell Xps Lx502x so that we can use Windows 8 with optimum performance.

10 Posts

September 14th, 2012 19:00

DELL release driver updates for Windows 8?  That's a nice dream.  If I would've waited for DELL to update the drivers for Windows 7 64-bit for my old Inspiron 1520, never would have had the system functioning properly.  You just have to go out and find it yourself, based on my experience with my DELL model anyways.

There should be no question of DELL not having the proper updated drivers because it's an unofficial OS, Windows 8 Enterprise RTM is the official OS as been stated above.  Even when Windows 8 rolls out to the retail consumers, for many DELL models that are compatible with a Windows 8 upgrade, DELL will probably not bother updating the drivers.

Currently running Windows 8 Enterprise RTM 32-bit on an Inspiron 1520

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.5Ghz

2GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8600m GT

Samsung SSD SATA3 Hard Drive

Runs perfectly smooth, fortunately everything's compatible with the native drivers from Microsoft.  Will eventually upgrade the driver for Wifi, graphics card, and Intel Rapid Storage Manager (unable to upgrade this driver from Intel for the time being) later to test if there's improvements, with no help from DELL.

13 Posts

September 24th, 2012 07:00

Hello,

Just some heads up: Most of the Win7 drivers work for now on Windows 8. If not, you should try to set the Compatibility to Windows 7 and they will have a higher chance of running the setup + complete installation.

For example, the Bluetooth drivers couldn't be installed because WINDOWS itself blocked the Broadcom setup. However, I got inside the folder for my architecture (x64), and set the compatibility on the setup file. Voilla. Drivers + bluetooth apps installed, and now I can add bluetooth devices :)

I've tried the same on the synaptics settings, but to no avail.

So, Your mileage may vary, but try the Compatibility route. If not, then wait till 26 October (at least) and Dell will made publicly the W8 drivers available.

13 Posts

September 25th, 2012 03:00

Some update regarding my last message. For Synaptics, with the Dell supplied drivers (For my Dell Studio 1555 at least), the settings window won't open to let me configure settings like continuous or circular scrolling.

But! I've installed the drivers from synaptic's website: www.synaptics.com/.../drivers, and even thought it looks different, all settings can be changed to one's liking :)

So, end of story is: You have 3 choices:

1) Wait for proper Windows 8 drivers supplied by Dell

2) Try using  Windows 8 compatibility

3) Install drivers from original HW manufacturer (AMD, Synaptics, etc)

Cheers.

1 Message

October 1st, 2012 15:00

Thanks SpeedStep!. Just what I was looking for. Excited and scared to update at the same time.

1 Message

November 10th, 2012 08:00

Ok. I have been hunting around for info on the Win8 driver issue and came across this. No one has been talking about the Pro upgrade yet.

It was a breeze with the Inspiron 1750 and studio 1737, Toshiba C6 series, Packard bell MH and HP DV6. All perfect with only a few bits to source after Windows was in.

The Duo has been a nightmare...... I've been at it all day........... >;-(

Went through the process last night, bought the upgrade, downloaded to .iso. Windows decided the x64 was best for my Duo.......... I did not experience the same issues with WLAN and movement sensor that others have encountered. 2 Point touch works perfectly.

I am left with a Partially installed Bluetooth driver that is in error and some "unknown device" that I can't seem to shed any light on. I've been through my standard driver pack programs and dell's own to no avail. Everything seems to be operating as expected making diagnosis of the missing driver "interesting".

Anyone else got stuck here and made some headway with it?

1 Message

November 18th, 2012 05:00

Est ce que Dell est au courant de la sortie de Windows 8 ???

Pour mon studio XPS 15 , aucun pilote à jour !!!

J'ai plusieurs PC : Acer, Toshiba etc ... tous sont à jour, seul Dell ne l'est pas.

No Events found!