bignadam
1 Copper

Re: Windows 8 on Inspiron Duo (Touch screen not working)

I just got my Dell All-in-one 6 months ago in preparation for Windows 8 and the touch will not be supported. Nice...

I've a loyal Dell customer for years, but this new computer is horrible and apparently getting worse with minimal Windows 8 support.

0 Kudos
Harshen
1 Nickel

Yes I installed Windows 8 PRO and all drivers are working properly, including touch.

Windows 8 OEMs have limited hardware features, hence touch wasn't working.

0 Kudos

Hi diegum,

I request you to follow the steps mentioned by me in the previous post and that should help.

Thanks and Regards,
Kiran Kumar
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

0 Kudos
MrChen911
1 Copper

I got the Win7 drivers installed, but it still isn't 100%, which again leads me to my disappointment that a piece of hardware which is new enough to still be under warranty.  Add in the fact that this is a great choice of hardware to be used under Win8, it's sad that Dell isn't supporting it.  

It probably has more to do with the fact that the Win8 RT XPS box has a similar price point and isn't a full computer.  There isn't any price setting in the market, everyone just has the new win8 RT tablets for the same price by chance.

0 Kudos

I do not work for Dell, but I wanted to chime in as an end user.

I installed Windows 8 Pro on my Inspiron Duo, and it works FABULOUSLY. I haven't noticed any hiccups. All touch actions work, both in "Laptop" mode and with the screen flipped as a tablet. It has made my Duo like a brand new machine. Windows loads in seconds and is much more responsive. If I didn't hear the disk spinning, I would swear this was a Surface Pro tablet.

It makes me wonder if Dell got a little itchy with the trigger finger when discontinuing this product. They could have (currently) TWO of the only convertible machines running Windows 8 pro.

For the record, I did the online upgrade through Microsoft. There was an error message warning me that some features may not work because the Duo was not supported, but I decided to roll the dice.

I did have an installation hiccup. After going through all the steps Windows crashed on the first boot. It said "Windows 8 could not be installed" and the changes were rolled back to Windows 7. I simply started the process over again, waited, and VOILA. The 2nd install went fine.

If you have a Duo or are looking to purchase a used one (which is what I did) you can have a relatively inexpensive machine running Windows 8 pro very well.

0 Kudos
tatsie34
1 Copper

HI-

I just upgraded to Windows 8 Pro (I have an inspiron 1720) and now my touchpad is not working properly.  I went to hardware and sound, and the only device showing is a mouse.  How do I fix my touchpad so the scroll feature works again?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jon57
1 Nickel

I have done the same thing with a Duo that I had to replace the Windows 7 OS when it got corrupted.  I started out with the Windows 8 Enterprise demo which worked so well that I purchased the Windows 8 Pro upgrade.  Most of the stuff works including the Touch Screen but some of the apps seem to cause it issues.  I would suggest if you do use Windows 8 DO NOT use a Microsoft account without being very careful about what you have syncing.  There have been a number of issues around the web where somethings that get synced cause issues with tablet type of machines...the biggest I have seen is where the Touch Screen gets turned off.  I also agree that Dell should reconsider and put out some Windows 8 drivers for the Duo it is a great machine that fills a very specific market niche that they don't have something to fill yet.

0 Kudos
MrChen911
1 Copper

I received a phone call today from Dell to extend my warranty on this device.  Told them no since they aren't supporting it with the latest and greatest.  The guy wouldn't take no for an answer, so I ended up just hanging up on him.

0 Kudos
Minxter
1 Copper

Please and Please how do i go about installing windows 8 on my Inspiron Duo. Where do i get the software and how do i do the install? Help Urgently please...I don't wanna have nightmares and wreck my system. Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jon57
1 Nickel

The install of Windows 8 on the Duo worked everything seems to be working.  I do have one item device still marked as unknown and I suspect it is the motion/GPS sensor.  I got the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade directly off the Microsoft site.  I did elect to save and burn to DVD so that I would have the software if I ever needed to reinstall it in the future.  You must first have a working Windows 7 on the system as you have to start the upgrade from within Windows 7.  From there the install went smoothly.  I found that most of the drivers for Windows 7 on the Dell Support site seemed to work for Windows 8. Once you begin the upgrade then you CANNOT revert to Windows 7 unless you have the Windows 7 DVD as the repair/restore partition is no longer available.   If you have never done an install or upgrade I would suggest you consider having a professional do the work.  I am a professional but as with anything we have to learn and sometimes we learn from people willing to do things we would not do so we ask in Communities like this.

Good luck

0 Kudos