Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2013 20:00

Windows 8 x64 UEFI install Latitude E5410

I recently upgraded my RAM to 8 GB from 4GB and i decided to reinstall my operating system as 64bit. I am currently running Windows 8 x86 under legacy BIOS mode on A14. I also jut upgraded from A13 and now when i try to run Windows installation it blue-screens and restarts my computer. i can run normal windows fine but i cant install the new windows.I have also tried to install over the network using WDS (from serva) with the same result. Please help mee

Thank you!

-Elliot Labs

10 Posts

July 6th, 2013 11:00

I put back in the original two 2GB sticks of RAM and it is UEFI booting fine and installing Windows 8 x64. I will put in the RAM upgrade after the install is completed to see if it will still boot. if so then i will upgrade my BIOS again to A14

1.5K Posts

July 6th, 2013 06:00

Hi Elliot Labs,

Please let us know the blue screen error and code you are receiving on the system. Also, have you tried to disable the secure boot on the system.

Kindly provide us this information so that we can advise you further.

10 Posts

July 6th, 2013 06:00

How do i disable secure boot?

I don't have time to read the blue-screen because it restarts the computer in less than a second after it is displayed. but it is the same for windows 7 and windows 8 UEFI boot from install DVD. I am in the process of diagnostics on my hardware but it all seems fine right now... I did u7pgrade to 8GB of RAM that is why i am making the switch.

10 Posts

July 6th, 2013 09:00

I have checked all of the hardware. It is 100% perfect. I just downgraded the BIOS to A13 and UEFI doesn't work. I am tried to instal in legacy mode for win 8 x64 still no luck. I am going to try Windows 7.

1.5K Posts

July 9th, 2013 04:00

Hi Elliot Labs,

Its great to hear that windows is installing fine on the system. Kindly upgrade the RAM at your convenience and let us know if there are any further issues with the system.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

10 Posts

July 9th, 2013 07:00

Hello, All,

Well I put in the RAM upgrade and it rendered it unbootable. So i was doing some checking of the RAM compatibility and i noticed that it was DDR3 1600 and the most the system can handle from all of my research is 1333. Correct me if I am wrong but I think I have over done the RAM speed on the system. So I just sent back the RAM and am getting a refund. After the money comes to my pocket I am going to get a DDR3 1333 set of 4GB sticks. At the moment i have the two older stick in the system and am getting windows 8 x64 UEFI setup so whenever the new RAM arrives all i will have to do is just install the RAM and not the OS.

1.5K Posts

July 10th, 2013 05:00

Hi Elliot Labs,

I understand it was a faulty RAM causing the system to not bot. Below is the memory specifications for your system:

Memory module connectors : two SODIMM slots

Memory module capacity : 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB

Memory type DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM

Minimum memory 1 GB

Maximum memory 8 GB

So, once you have a compatible memory for the system it should work fine and you would not need to re-install Windows for upgrading the RAM on the system.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

10 Posts

July 10th, 2013 06:00

Hi, All,

Yes i realized that the 1600MHz is not the right type as soon as i get the refund i will get 1333MHz

Thanks for posting that info! It confirmed some other threads that looked legit but i wasn't sure.

Have a Nice Day!

1.5K Posts

July 11th, 2013 04:00

Hi Elliot Labs,

Please check a different memory at your convenience and that should work fine on the system. If there are any further issues feel free to reach out to us.

Glad to be of assistance to you.

1 Message

July 15th, 2014 11:00

Hi All,

I have a similar problem with my Latitude E5410. 

Until 2 days ago, ran Windows 7 Prof. X86 with 2 Sodimm 4Gb PC 1333-1067 Mhz, but as the OS was x86, only recognized 4GB of RAM.

I proceeded to reinstall the OS to version x64, but it was impossible, I spent 1 whole day trying and looking on forums until I found that the problem was the version of BIOS I had my notebook (A05), then I upgrade the BIOS to A16 version ... after that, still the same problem.

I proceeded to change Sodimm 2 x 1Gb and I could install OS Win 7 x64 without problems, after that, change Sodimm 2 x1 Gb from 2 x 4 GB. After that when you start get blue screen and it reboots the notebook.

Try starting with only 1 sodimm x 4 Gb but I get the same error, even changing sodimm each and modules.

The modules are Kingston 4Gb KVR13S9S8 / 4

Any help? The most unusual is that these Sodimm 4Gb 3 days ago worked on the same computer without problems.

Thanks.
Ariel.

8 Posts

August 14th, 2014 08:00

We are also having this issue with several of our 5410's.  We have 2 batches order several months apart, it appears the first batch we ordered refuses to run 64-bit Windows with 8GB of ram.  The other batch has no issues.  Windows 32 bit will accept the ram but obviously cant use it.  Switch to 64bit windows and it's no boot, blue screen.  

2 Posts

September 25th, 2014 23:00

Hi Ariel,

Have you resolved this issue? Right now, I faced the same issue. The BIOS version was A05, upgraded to A16, still can't boot into Windows 7 after I upgrade to 2* 4GB DDR3 1333 Kingston RAM, the module number are the same. 

8 Posts

September 26th, 2014 09:00

Dell please look into this for us!!  DELL!!!!!!!!  Anybody home?  We have 15 5410's that cannot be upgraded to 64bit with 8GB.  We have 10 that worked fine.  DELLLLLLL!!!!!!????

2 Posts

September 30th, 2014 19:00

I resolved it after replaced the RAM to another brand called "Tigo". Yet forgot to mention, I am using legacy mode BIOS, not UEFI.

1 Message

June 9th, 2016 12:00

i would lile to know if the issue is solved

No Events found!