Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2009 12:00

Windows Vista installation can't find hard drive on Inspiron E1505

The hard drive in this Inspiron E1505 recently went kaput, and I've installed a new drive into it.  The drive is recognized in BIOS with no problem, however when I boot from the Windows Vista setup disk and attempt to do an install, it says that no drives are found and suggests I click "Load Driver" to provide a driver for installation.  I've tried doing this, using the Intel Mobile Chipset drivers that I've downloaded and extracted onto a USB drive, but that doesn't fix the problem. 

I've tried all of the drivers in that are listed when "Hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer" is selected... dmi_pci.inf, ich7core.ing, ich7usb.inf, ich7ide.inf, 945GM.inf, and ich7id2.inf.  The result is the same for each one.  It goes back to the 'Where do you want to install Windows?' screen and tells me that no drives were found.

I've tried updating to the latest system BIOS as well to no avail.

Thanks for any help.

6.4K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 11:00

So far as I know, the E1505 does not have a SATA mode.  It is permanently in IDE compatible.  Was this machine delivered with Vista?  If you have a Dell Windows XP installation CD you might try that as a quick check to make sure the computer is communicating with the hard drive.  If you don't have that, it's time to use diagnostics to see if the drive is working properly.  The easiest way to do that is boot the Dell Resource CD if you have it.  If not, the downloads page has a file that can be used to build a diagnostics CD.

4.6K Posts

November 18th, 2009 13:00

Windows Vista should sort it automatically, but it might be worth checking in the BIOS to see what mode the hard drive is set to - i.e. SATA or AHCI?

Whichever one it's set to, try the other?

14 Posts

November 20th, 2009 05:00

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, I cannot find this particular setting anywhere in the BIOS.  I know I've had to change this on other computers in the past (on my Latitude E6500 it's under System Configuration-> SATA Operation), but darned if I can the equivalent setting on the Inspiron E1505 it on this one.  Could it possibly be a "hidden" option somewhere?

Here are the items I see in the BIOS on the E1505:

System

System Info

Processor Info

Memory Info

Device Info

Battery Info

Battery Health

Date/Time

Boot Sequence

Onboard Devices

Integrated NIC

Media Card and 1394

Video

Brightness

Brightness (AC)

LCD Panel Expansion

Security

Admin Password

System Password

Internal HDD PW

Password Change

Password Bypass

Wireless Hotkey Change

CPU XD Support

Computrace(R)

Performance

Multi Core Support

HDD Acoustic Mode

SpeedStep Enable

Power Management

Auto On Mode

Auto On Time

USB Wake Support

Serial ATA DIPM

Maintenance

Load Defaults

Service Tag

POST Behavior

Adapter Warnings

Fn Key Emulation

Fast Boot

Virtualization

Keypad (Embedded)

Numlock LED

USB Emulation

Wireless

Internal Bluetooth

Internal Wi-Fi

Wireless Hotkey

3.7K Posts

November 20th, 2009 06:00

Hi, In my system it is under 'Integrated Peripherals', then at the bottom of the list, it says, 'Sata Mode', then next to that it will say what mode your drive's are set at. In my case my drive's are set at 'IDE'. To change it, scroll down to it, high light it, then press enter.  

14 Posts

November 20th, 2009 08:00

If there was an Integrated Peripherals option, I would try that!  :emotion-1:

14 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 08:00

Anyone have any advice on this one?  Being unable to install an operating system has really limited the usefulness of this computer...

How the heck can I change the SATA mode if I'm not given the option in the BIOS?

2.4K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 12:00

Try removing the hard drive and reseating it.

14 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 11:00

Excellent suggestion about trying to boot from a Windows XP installation disc.  I tried this, and the Windows XP setup did see the hard drive with an NTFS partition already on it.  I deleted the partition, rebooted with the Vista installation disc, and finally Vista could see the drive! 

I guess that somehow there was a corrupt partition on the drive which was causing it to be invisible to Vista.  And for some reason, only Windows XP could see it and remove it.  Go figure. 

Glad to be up and running again!  Thanks! :emotion-1:

6.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2009 19:00

Happy I could help.  Best of luck to you!

No Events found!