Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2016 08:00

Windows fails to boot after BIOS Update on XPS 15 9550

Warning that the recent BIOS update on the XPS 15 9550 caused Windows to no longer boot.

It is Windows 10 Pro with Bitlocker enabled.  Startup Repair and System Restore Point fail to help. The laptop boots to a blank blue screen for about 1 min then just powers off.  Turning off Secure Boot did not help either.

Reinstall the system completely from scratch appears to be the only solution 

2 Posts

August 1st, 2016 14:00

I have suffered the same fate with the same laptop (XPS 9550).  Dell says they have to send me a new HD and recovery of my data is my problem.  BIOS recovery efforts have failed.

Any ideas how to recover the system and/or recover my data?  Any reco is much appreciated.

Thanks.

3 Posts

August 1st, 2016 19:00

Turns out this is related to my laptop being encrypted with Bitlocker and BIOS updates doing something most likely to the TPM to make it unbootable.  More details on this post

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19985939/

I used the recovery USB drive to boot into Command Prompt so I could use manage-bde to decrypt the drive. Then I could boot and then re-encrypt.

2 Posts

August 1st, 2016 21:00

I had this same issue and I have recovered my system. 

Starting from Power Off, hold the Shift key down, press the Power button, then key pressing F8 (while continuing to hold down the shift key).  It started Windows asking which display configuration I wanted to choose.

Fair warning: I tested (hacked at) many other BIOS options before getting to this, so there may have been some other activities in the background.

Good luck.  

No Events found!