Highlighted
Kathsha2029
1 Copper

Windows installation not completed (Inspiron 17 5000 series)

A couple days ago, when I turned on my Dell Insprion 17 5000 series laptop, there was an error. The recommended action was that I get a new hard drive. So, that's what I did. I backed up all my files onto a hard drive, deleted my old hard drive, removed it and replaced it with a new one I got in the mail. After installing the new one, my laptop began installing and after a while this message popped up: "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer restart the installation." I hit okay and the entire process starts all over again.

Now, I've seen videos saying to hit Fn+Shift+F10, but when I do that and type "secpol.msc" or "gpedit.msc" it says that it is not recognized. I am a complete computer noob, so I missed a step or something I wouldn't know. Any help would be appreciated, but if no one has any suggestions, should I send it somewhere to be fixed?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Xenon

RE: Windows installation not completed (Inspiron 17 5000 series)

What version of Windows are you installing, and from what media (Flash drive, DVD, etc.)?

0 Kudos
Kathsha2029
1 Copper

I'm not trying to install anything. I just replaced the hard drive like Dell told me to do, and tried turning it on. If I'm not correctly understanding your question, tell me.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

I'm not trying to install anything. I just replaced the hard drive like Dell told me to do, and tried turning it on. If I'm not correctly understanding your question, tell me.

Since I have not had the experience of having a drive replaced in that manner, could you tell us exactly what happened or what process you used to use the new drive?

Did you set it first in Boot priority and then just try to boot?  

What happened when you tried to boot, what options were you given?  Was there a "recover" drive option in addition to the Install option?  Did it boot to a normal Windows Install page and was there a Repair your Computer option?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos