Phil Olson
1 Copper

Windows update disabled brightness control.

I installed the latest windows update and now the function controls on F4 and F5 to control brightness don't work.  When I bring up Windows Mobility Center I can move the brightness bar from left to right with no effect.  I'm thinking an Intel update for their mobility chipset but can't be sure.

How do I restore this control?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Phil Olson
1 Copper

Re: Windows update disabled brightness control.

Never mind, I found out how to unload the Intel update and that was indeed the culprit.

0 Kudos
gdprun
1 Copper

I have the same problem with my new Studio 1558.  The Brightness F4 and F5 do not work.  The other Functions work.  With a new computer, I downloaded the updates to the drivers as recommneded by Dell.   Exactly which driver was the culprit and how did you uninstall the driver?

Thanks- Glenn

0 Kudos
Phil Olson
1 Copper

It was the Intel graphics accelerator update.

0 Kudos
gdprun
1 Copper

I just spent the morning with Dell Chat Support for them to tell me the motherboard is bad and needs to be replaced.  I did ask about the latest driver for Intel Graphics media Accelerator.  I did go the the Device Manager/ Display and looked at the driver rev (1/8/10) the latest .  The revert back button was gray, therefore not an option for me.  I am not sure what will happen if I uninstall the driver, if it will go back to the previous or is the previous gone.  Studio 1558, i5, W7, Dell1520 wifi- Thanks-Glenn

0 Kudos
Phil Olson
1 Copper

If I recall I finally had to go to a previous configuration then re update without the Intel driver update.  It was indeed the 1/8 driver.  As soon as I did this my control came back.

0 Kudos
hurr pancakes
1 Copper

If I recall I finally had to go to a previous configuration then re update without the Intel driver update.  It was indeed the 1/8 driver.  As soon as I did this my control came back.

Could you please explain how you did this? I'm not able to roll back the intel driver, and can't change my brightness.

0 Kudos

hey i'm having the same trouble. Please explain how did you solve it. Thanks

0 Kudos
Phil Olson
1 Copper

As I mentioned, I had to go to a system restore before 1/8 then re update with the Intel graphics update unchecked.  That was the only way I could figure out how to get rid of the Intel driver.

What you need to do is look up restore in the help system and it will tell you how to do that.  You can roll back the updates rather far back.  Then you can do a windows update that will reinstall all the partial update you've gotten up to now.  Just unchecked the Intel graphics driver one.

Perhaps there's an easier way to do it but I don't know one!  It only takes a few minutes and is pretty straight forward once you get to the roll back screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PRboy
1 Copper

To everyone having this brightness adjustment problem on Studio 1558:

This is the solution: The driver we have on the page (8.15.10.1958) is not the latest intel driver. If you go and check the driver downloads for the Studio 1569, they have driver version 8.15.10.1986.

Get THAT newer driver, and your problem will go away. Simple as that. I spent a whole day trying to fix it, just to get this simple idea like at 1 a.m. and... it works 😄

0 Kudos