Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2010 21:00

Wireless antenna wires are stripped in new Inspiron 1464

Hi all.

I bought a new Inspiron 1464 recently at Staples. It didn't come with a Bluetooth module, so I ordered a Bluetooth module from Dell and was installing it. During this process, I had to reroute the wireless antenna wires and I noticed that they were both stripped of their outer sheath near the wireless card. Note that the inner parts of the wires aren't exposed; only the outer sheath is removed:

Actually, to be completely accurate, the part that was stripped originally had a piece of (electrical? conducting?) tape covering the stripped area and it was taped to the silvery part near the wire; it was similar to the following image:

(This second image is actually the way I have it set up now. The original tape was kind of silvery and I threw it away without thinking).

So now, I have a number of questions.

1) Why was this wire stripped? Is this poor workmanship or is there a technical reason for it being stripped?

2) What should I do? Should I put insulating tape or conducting tape on the wires? Should I try to separate the wires with the insulating tape or should I be letting them touch?

I appreciate any help/advice anyone can give.

Jonathan

176 Posts

February 26th, 2010 09:00

those wires should not have been stripped.  do not use any type of conducting tape on them.  tape the stripped part separately on each wire and the tape that you used is fine. they need to be insulated from each other and from anything else.

2 Posts

February 26th, 2010 21:00

Yeah, that sounds about right. The stripping probably makes no difference but it is somewhat annoying on a new computer.

176 Posts

February 27th, 2010 02:00

yeh, i agree. it looks like the glue on the tape that they used dissolved the coating on the wire. i never saw anything like that before and its good you caught it when you did.  i wonder how many other laptops were sent out like that.

No Events found!