Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 9th, 2016 17:00

Wireless on Latitude 6510

I have an older Latitude 6510 that was given to me and loaded a fresh Win7 32 bit last night.  Everything works but I can't get the wi-fi icon to come on.  Checked the switch on the side and it makes no difference.  When trying to connect to internet, it keeps giving an error message that no hardware is detected.  I know it has a wireless card.  I can get the Bluetooth icon to come on but not the wi-fi.  Is there a BIOS adjustment needed?  I reset the BIOS to factory defaults before loading windows.

Went into the Device Manager and see a bunch of exclamation points in the networking but not sure what that means.  Clicking on them says there is no driver.  Do I download from Dell?

What am I missing?

35 Posts

December 11th, 2016 04:00

Okay, got it working.  Had to use a USB D-link adapter to get onto the internet, then to the Dell website.  Had it do a driver detector and found all the drivers that needed updating.  Did them and now the wifi is working fine.  Still have to load a couple other drivers to get all the yellow ! to go away.  

It had a BIOS update and I tried to install that twice but wouldn't do it so I'm still using the A104 version instead of the A116 but everything is working just fine so don't see a need to pursue the BIOS update.  I remember reading that if all is working as it should, no need to mess with the BIOS.  

Thanks for the help!

BTW, Dell couldn't make it much easier to update their computers.  Thanks Dell!

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

December 9th, 2016 19:00

At a minimum you will want to install the chipset driver and the wireless card, and since the system cannot connect to the Internet you will need to download them on another system and transfer them by a USB key or another device. Here is a link to Dell's Support page that will allow you to enter the Service Tag and find drivers for the system.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Brad 

35 Posts

December 9th, 2016 21:00

Thanks Brad.  Here's a little more info I found.

I went into the BIOS and see the LAN card is enabled.

Then rebooted and went to Device Manager.

Under "Network Devices", only listed is:

"Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)"

"Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)"

I have 6 yellow exclamation points under "Other Devices":

"Broadcom USH"

"Ethernet Controller"

"Network Controller"

"PCI Serial Port"

"PCI Simple Communications Controller"

"Unkown Device"

I don't see the "Intel wi-fi link 6200 (802.11 a/g/n) 2x2 1/2 mini card for VPRO Latitude E/Mobile Precision"

which is what the laptop originally came with, according to the service tag system configuration.

So does this mean there isn't a card in the machine?  Shouldn't something show up in the Device Manager re: wi-fi card?

If I download the chipset driver as you suggested, will that have an effect on the wi-fi?

Thanks for you help.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

December 13th, 2016 21:00

I am glad to hear that you got this working! And sorry for missing the initial reply. 

Best regards,

Brad

No Events found!