Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2013 18:00

Worst decision ever

Buying from Dell has turned out to be the worst decision I have made. After one month my laptop bit the dust and Dell woudl not send me a replacement.  They said it was after 30 days.  I will never buy from dell again.  What a disappointment. I really thought Dell was a better company.

I am very disappointed.

5 Posts

The best thing Dell is good at is putting people on hold for hours on end. They are not in the business of helping people with issues.  

5 Posts

sure it does. but Dell is not standing by their warranty. There is nothing I can do. All I wanted was an exchange.

Doesn't it come with a 1 year warranty?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 21st, 2013 19:00

After 30 days the warranty covers repairs - not replacement.  If you're expecting a replacement system from any manufacturer after 30 days, you will be similarly disappointed.

In all honesty this forum is for technical support  not for general complaining.  If you have a technical question post it here.  You will only find other dell users and technical support people in this forum and not customer service representatives to hear to grievances.  Please look at addressing your grievances via other channels as these threads for technical issues.  General complaining only clogs the technical support forums, nothing more.

7 Posts

Hey there vdahlk - I know what you mean. I have had several nightmare with Dell, and am still working on resolving an issue that started 2 years ago!!! (Right now, I'm using the replacement build they sent, which has become possessed, and I've now been told its corrupt, while I wait for the original laptop I bought to be sent to me. (They couldn't get the order right, and I've gone through 7 laptop deliveries, with each one of them having specs different than what I'd ordered.) And the saga just keeps going on and on and on . . .

During all of this, I escalated it to a special department supervisor that's supposed to deal with customers who are having nightmares. After being PROMISED he'd personally follow through to completion, more time went by. MONTHS. . . . .  I emailed the supervisor who'd promised to resolve the issues, I get an "auto-reply" that he's on vacation (but to contact  his supervisor). I write to his supervisor, only to get HER auto-reply that she's out of town as well. By the time I finally reached a live person in that department (all their voicemails were "full" and I couldn't leave a message OR press 0 and get an operator) they said "they've never heard of the person I was calling for". I showed them the TONS of email exchanges I'd had up until then, and more time goes by. They finally contact me to let me know that that supervisor "Has left the company", and I start from ground zero all over again.  I'll NEVER do business with Dell again. (I'd made the mistake of buying an Android phone from Dell, as I now had a credit balance, with nothing I could do with it. Upon receipt of the phone - 2 years ago now, all I got were "Sim card missing" errors. Despite the "special tech support number" the supervisor gave me for Android support, the techs answering this line knew less about Android than I did. In the end, I had to do the troubleshooting by myself, and this whole nightmare has eaten up MONTHS of my time, as I've had to stay on the phone with tech support during all the sessions trying to fix the corrupt laptop they'd sent me. It's taken me 6 months so far, and we're still not done.

I wish you the best of luck!!!  :emotion-3:

58 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 10:00

I'm starting to think that I too made a major mistake in purchasing a DELL Inspiron 17R as it's been nothing but trouble since day one.  Numerous minor but irritating problems with both its software and its hardware.

For a $1300 laptop, the litany of malfunctions is unacceptable.  I'll never buy another DELL machine.

Very disappointed.

5 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 05:00

I am hoping my laptop can be fixed. Someone is coming today to put in a new motherboard. I hope my problems are fixed as I can't bear the thought of calling Dell again. It is transfer and on hold for hours.  I finally got through to someone higher up, we'll see if it helps. Dell promises to make it right, but I don't trust them.

58 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 06:00

As far as I'm concerned (and assuming the laptop is till under warranty) a faulty motherboard should be a sufficiently serious issue requiring a new replacement laptop, rather than simply trying to fix various bits and pieces of the machine as they fail.

After all, the motherboard is really the "heart and brains" of the machine.  If the engine in your new car blew up, they'd replace the entire vehicle with a new one, not remove and replace the faulty engine.

Good luck.

5 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 07:00

Yes, the computer is under warranty. I bought it mid- December.  Not even 2 months old.  Too bad Dell dosent see it that way. They said that they would have to come out and fix the computer 3 times in one month before they would replace it and then it woudl be a refurbished computer. Can you believe it??

58 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 08:00

This is truly unacceptable.....

"...they would have to come out and fix the computer 3 times in one month before they would replace it and then it would be a refurbished computer".

I bought my DELL 17R under the impression that the warranty was basically a one-for-one replacement of a faulty unit. I certainly didn't understand that they'd attempt to "fix" it THREE times before replacing it with a NEW laptop.

Disgraceful, borderline misrepresentation.  What this means—in effect—is that the DELL warranty is not worth the paper it's written on.

58 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 08:00

After 30 days the warranty covers repairs - not replacement.  If you're expecting a replacement system from any manufacturer after 30 days, you will be similarly disappointed.

I live in Australia, and our State consumer laws override this DELL warranty.  We have a mandatory replacement warranty in place "if the goods are not suitable for the purpose for which they were marketed."  This is irrespective of the 30-day time frame, and covers machine breakdown caused by manufacturing defects.

I'm guessing in America, one should contact the BBB and lodge a formal complaint against DELL.  Would that be likely to help?

15 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 09:00

No, in the USA you would contact your local Attorney General's Office who would handle the matter for you.  

No Events found!