Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

August 9th, 2007 20:00

XP SigmaTel HD audio driver for Dell XPS M1330

I've been going crazy looking for a XP sound driver for my XPS M1330 new laptop.

DELL XPS M1330 config:
- Intel® CoreTM  2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.20GHz, 4M L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
- 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
- NVIDIA GeForceTM  Go 8400M GS with 128MB dedicated DDR3 graphics memory
- 13.3" UltraSharpTM  WXGA display with TrueLifeTM 2.0 MP camera (standard CCFL display)
- 160GB configured with 5400 RPM SATA hard drive
- Integrated Slot-Load DVD+/-RW Drive
- Windows XP professional (self-installation)

I have all XP drivers installed on Win XP Pro on M1330 ok except the "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODE" which has a yellow exclamation icon.

Here is the info of the SigmaTel  HD audio CODE driver info I found in orginal Vista:
Hardware Ids:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_10280209&REV_1002

Among the many intenet availiable SigmaTel 92XX HDA dirvers for XP, checking the *.inf and *.ini file and there is no VEN_8384&DEV_7616 (seem vendor ID and device ID) matched driver so far.
Seems the one used in the M1330 is a newer hardware which only the Vista HDA driver was written so far for that particular hardware. As you can see from Vista control panel that it supports SigmaTel HDMI HD audio:
   Driver Provider: SigmaTel
   Driver Date:  10/5/2007
   Driver Version:  6.10.0.5515

Note that all SigmaTel 92XX HDA dirvers for XP,  so far the lastest I found is:
(Version 6.10.5511 26/5/2007)
However, its still doesn't have the matched ID DEV_7616 but it support DEV_7682 instead and therefore it won't work on M1330.

We here wants the community can push DELL and SigmaTel to publish the updated XP driver for this a bit newer SigmaTel HDA ODEC for M1330. Or some technical guys (may be those in SigmaTel) knows exactly want VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_10280209 represents which particular chipset and release us the correct driver....

Personally, the M1130 is great but many of us wants the XP intead of the Vista...

Any helps?

April 23rd, 2008 11:00

--- Really strange that a clean install, with all fresh drivers from the Dell site, don't work.

I know how you feel, it almost looks like a ploy to get us out of Windows XP.

--- BTW maybe one option .. I ran Windows XP with SP3 already installed, maybe that's giving problems 

You bring an interesting point, I am running Windows XP SP2, I do not know if the prior user was also on SP2. You could try it with SP2 but do you really want to waste your time?

Amazing that lots of people, including self, just do not like Vista, at least not at this stage.

Good luck aa6em.

5 Posts

April 30th, 2008 10:00

Thanks to all who've contributed to this forum. I realise this discussion took place some time ago, and was hoping that Dell would have made an XP audio driver available for the M1530 by now. Someone suggested that maybe if more people wrote, then Dell would notice and post a driver.

Dell: if you are listening, please be advised that many people in our local marketplace are looking to other computer vendors for business laptops because of Dell's withdrawal of XP support on the XPS series (a logical executive choice in terms of design and capabilities). If full driver support for the XPS series on Windows XP isn't made available soon, my own company will begin redirecting these customers to the Sony Vaio and Toshiba Portege.

I'll be watching this thread in the hope that the Sigmatel STAC9228 driver that will work on the M1530, at least, is eventually released. Hopefully this will be sooner rather than later.

15 Posts

May 1st, 2008 15:00

Perhaps this trick from another M1330 thread will help: 

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_general&message.id=261962#M261962

In case that link doesn't work, it's the 110th message in the Install Windows XP on Dell XPS M1330 thread in the Support | Laptops | General Hardware forum, posted by me on 11-6-2007.  There's also a follow-up I posted three messages later in the same thread:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_general&message.id=262024#M262024

If you really want to show your appreciation to the forum contributors, you can post back here whether or not that method solves your problem so that others might benefit.  :smileyhappy:

1 Message

May 8th, 2008 06:00

many thanks to Dell Chris_B. The driver he found works very well for me! Thanks Dell for your help a million times. Here is the link guys, enjoy

SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

June 28th, 2008 15:00

I used Everest ultimate edition and show me:

min/max second buffer secuence: 41100/96000 hz

first buffer sound format: 16 bits mono, stereo;

second buffer sound format: 16 bits mono, stereo 

so what mean all this stuff? I ask because I tried every driver you'd mentioned and

1. Our Sigmatel sound card is 24 bits but works only at 16 on Windows XP?

2. Paradoxically, sound quality is more poor than running Vista (I tested my self 'cos I've got both OS on my M1330)

3. On Vista, users have a Sigmatel panel control there chooses over sound quality, 16 or 24 bits, so how could I, under XP, do teh same thing?

9 Posts

September 20th, 2008 09:00

I just bough new m1330

I'm looking to install XP instead vista but as i read in above that some XPS laptops are not accept the audio driver ,

my qus is now if something wrong happen after installed XP, can I return it back to vistafrom the CDs which came with the laptop ?

thanks

September 20th, 2008 13:00

Hi jmishal, read the thread above for some instructions on how to get the sound driver to work however if it still fails, you can still reinstall vista using the provided CDs. I have been able to actually install win xp and vista in a dual boot mode and I am currently "slowly that is" moving to the vista version as the SP1 upgrade is making the laptop more stable. I do have a suggestion if you want to improve the booting speed of the laptop; get yourself a 7200 rpm laptop hard drive, it makes a huge difference. I am using the Seagate Momentus 7200 rpm, it comes in 250GB and 320GB models, those guys can run at the full sata speed.

Good luck!

6 Posts

October 24th, 2008 22:00

Hey, try instaling the Sigma Drivers from XPS M1210 it looks like the sound card and codecs are the same. here is a link for that.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=XPS_M1210&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

did all other drivers worked well, I want to install XP Pro in mine. and I want to be sure I can get all drivers for it. Vista is really slow.

1 Message

April 30th, 2012 00:00

Thanks man you are the man.

i search the internet for long but even close to solving my sound problems til today when i landed on your link and now my sound is back.

Thanks a lot

No Events found!