JonasIbsen
1 Copper

Re: XPS 10 battery usage when sleeping

I contacted dell support after reading this thread.

I gave them them link to the thread as well, og they wantd my xps in for repair, so gonna be intresting what they find out.

0 Kudos
xbalance
1 Copper

I also downloaded 8.1 and the sleep function still wakes up as soon as I close the dock to the screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
xbalance
1 Copper

It seems to be that the windows button is one way the device is woken from sleep mode.  I noticed if I put the tablet to sleep and close the tablet to the dock the display will come on before the tablet is touching the dock.  It seems to me that when closing the dock hinge is putting enough pressure on the windows button (which is covered by the hinge) to wake the tablet.  If true, since modifying the hinge seems unlikely, we would need a way to disable the windows button from being able to wake a sleeping tablet.  

0 Kudos

RE: XPS 10 battery usage when sleeping

I have had an XPS 10 for just one week and was experiencing all the same symptoms. I tried everything, including installing 8.1 Preview, disabling devices, even tried applying different drivers. After the software attempts failed I did some more testing. To find the cause I attached the XPS and dock to an external monitor and set the close lid action to "Do Nothing." By (gently) pressing on the top of the lid I could see on the external monitor that the screen was indeed being touched by the keys AND the keys were being pressed by the lid. This means there is a physical problem with the design of this device - the screen and keyboard are too close to each other when it is closed. In addition, the keyboard and screen are not being deactivated in software when the lid is closed. I have found that applying a small (2mm thick, 13mm diameter) rubber "spacer" to the bottom left and right corner (so 2 spacers in total) prevents the screen and keyboard becoming close enough to interfere with each other. The device stays off and so the battery does not drain anymore. This is a bit like the iPhone 4 "bumper" fix. Perhaps Dell should supply us with keyboard bumpers?! Please advise if this works for others.
0 Kudos
spokanedj
1 Copper

While I think this may be part of the cause, I don't thinks its the root cause. I can leave my XPS10 in the dock and open sitting on my desk. From time to time it will wake up and display the lock screen. I have my table lock after 10 mins. So if it has been less than ten minutes, it will show the lock screen for a second, then automatically unlock and show whatever was being display prior. Then it follows the "when to turn the display off and sleep" settings. If it has been more than 10 mins, it will show the lock screen for about 30 seconds then sleep again. I might try throwing some small rubber bumbers on the keyboard to see, but I don't think it is the underlying issue of this.
0 Kudos

I don't think I got it waking up unless the lid was closed. Like I said, I tired a lot of software tweaks previously and one of those may have helped. What I have also noticed is the "phantom" screen presses which occasionally happen. I don't know it these can cause the device to wake but I suspect they can. On my device these only happen when the screen is smudgy. If I give the screen a good clean with a dry cloth then the phantom screen presses stop happening. I think... Let me know if a cleaner screen means less wakeups 🙂
0 Kudos
shostydog
1 Copper

same problem here. actually, it's become super more epic worse since rt 8.1. the dell xps 10 is just generally a giant piece of sh!t

0 Kudos