dsiv
1 Copper

XPS 12 - AC Adaptor plugged in but not charging (2017 version)

I searched old posts on this same topic and nothing helped, so here is a new topic on an old subject.

My XPS 12 has had problems for quite some time. I don't use the computer all that often anymore, but when I need it, it is not usable, because it has to be plugged in to work.

I have replaced the battery.

I have replaced the power cord

I have replaced the charging port

I have verified that I have the latest BIOS

When I plug the power cord into the computer, the power icon shows charging with the icon showing progression. After 5 - 10 seconds, the icon remains unchanged.

The power has slowly gone from 100% (with the new battery) to 1% now.

Battery Meter:

Status - 0% Charging (it lies!)

Enable Dell Intelligent Display in Battery Mode - grayed out and not selectable

Enable Dell Extended Battery Life - selected, although I've tried both ways

Remind me... - selected, although I've tried it both ways

Battery Health

Your battery is performing normally (it lies!)

Desktop mode

everything is grayed out and not selectable

Longevity mode

everything is grayed out and not selectable

I would love to click "Charge battery to 100% one time", but I cannot.

I have gone into the BIOS to try various options shown in related posts.

What else can I try?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dsiv
1 Copper

RE: XPS 12 - AC Adaptor plugged in but not charging (2017 version)

I have more to add. I've run diagnostics before, but I ran them again yesterday and I left diagnostics up and running. There is a panel that shows "Battery and AC Adapter" and the results are very interesting, but disappointing at the same time.

The Battery Charge is ALWAYS at 0% now.

The Battery Health is ALWAYS at 100% now.

The Battery Current Flow is always either 0mA or -10mA, unless I unplug and replug the power cord. For the brief moment that it is unplugged it goes to somewhere around -1400mA

The AC adapter usually reports 45 watt adapter, although occasionally, without being touched, it will be n/a.

The Battery Charging State is:

Idle - only after I unplug then replug the power cord and only Idle for a few seconds to sometime just less than a minute.

Charging - only after I unplug then replug the power cord and then only for a few seconds

Discharging - all other times

Each time I run diagnostics, the Charger reports "Pass" and the Primary Battery reports "Pass"

Wiggling the power connector while plugged in, has no effect.

The power cord is "firmly" plugged in.

Thoughts please!

RE: XPS 12 - AC Adaptor plugged in but not charging (2017 version)

2017 version? I see (2012 XPS 12-9Q32, 2013 XPS 12-9Q33, 2015 XPS 12-9250) but not a 2017 version? Based on your troubleshooting and parts already replaced, the only thing left is to replace the motherboard. But the cost to purchase one may outweigh the current market value of this model. Has the purchased Dell warranty expired?

0 Kudos