Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2013 04:00

XPS 12 Dual Monitor?

Been searching the web for an answer for this and also tried searching these forums, but can't find a definitive response!

I have an XPS 12 on order, I currently use a desktop machine with dual monitors, I want the XPS 12 to replace my desktop and continue with dual monitors. I know the XPS 12 only has 1 Mini Displayport and I've seen products which convert this to VGA or DVI.

Is there anyway I can use the XPS 12 with dual monitors? If so, how? 

1.5K Posts

April 9th, 2013 05:00

Hi zedx19,

On Dell XPS 12 you can connect an external monitor with a Mini-DisplayPort connector or use a Mini-DisplayPort to DVI / VGA / HDMI dongle.

You can use a splitter if you wish to setup dual display like one shown in the image below.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

2 Posts

Very helpful thank you, but the cost of those boxes seems very high from what I've Googled in the UK.

Is it possible to use a DIsplayport to VGA the VGA splitter cable?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Unfortunately, no - you need one of the active adapters such as the one mentioned above.

1 Message

June 6th, 2013 14:00

And using this adaptor OR Dell docking (not the correct name) WHAT IS The maximum number of simultaneous monitors I can use? Can I use 3? One the XPS 12 display, one using HDMI and other using the VGA or Display port?

1 Message

July 26th, 2013 16:00

Dell XPS is designed with WiDi, Intel's Wireless Display technology. You can either use monitor which supports WiDi or TV or go with the USB converter to VGA or DVI

1 Message

October 2nd, 2013 17:00

If you use an adapter like the one shown in the picture, can you get a different picture on both external monitors?  For instance, if I hook up one monitor to the  HDMI port and one monitor to the DVI port can I get an extended screen going across both monitors?  Or will it be a duplicate image on both monitors? 

I know I can do dual-display with one screen being my computer screen and one being an external monitor, but I want dual-display with my two 22" monitors.  Would this accomplish this?

Same question with using WiDi - can I get one image going over WiDi and one over to mini DisplayPort to get a splith screeen?

TIA,

Brian

2 Posts

November 1st, 2013 07:00

Sorry to disappoint you but this net/notebook even so has the capability (technically) has no power to drive external monitors.

I have the full size docking station, needed for printer, broadband connection, more USB , etc... I tried to connect through the DVI and quality is poor. I got a HDMI cable and connected directly from laptop to the monitor (24 inch) and again the quality is not there... The frequency of proper synchronization for the monitor is not good enough... ended up with headaches...

After talking to a technical parson in Dell we figure out the the OUTPUT card fro grahics is not meant to dive external monitors, but to use with movies if needed. For any text/windows application the text has a shadow that fluctuates, sign that the power to drive external monitors was not part of the 2 for one deal!

If you find a solution for this I will be interested also!

By the way, with any cable you can have 2 monitors setup, one the laptop and the other the externa lmonitor, but the quality is "shaky" at best :(

3 Posts

January 11th, 2014 17:00

I also need to know whether it is possible for dual display on 27" @ 2560x1440...I think it might be but only with display port

2 Posts

March 25th, 2014 03:00

This document below indicates that the XP12(2013) can drive an external monitor at the maximum resolution of 2560x1600 ... so now we need to know if it can drive 2 monitors at this resolution.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_xps_laptop/xps-12-9q33_Reference%20Guide2_en-us.pdf

... what we really need to a forum for Dell users to get answers from the technical people at Dell :)

1 Message

April 7th, 2014 11:00

@Billy This is exactly the question I'm trying to answer. 

I have two 27" Dell Ultrasharp monitors. One connects to the XPS 12 via displayport and gets 2560 x 1440. The second connects via DVI to a Targus Dynadocki which connects to the XPS 12 and gets 1920 x 1200. Frustrating. 

No Events found!