8 Krypton

RE: Has someone noticed ghost images (screen burn-in) on Dell XPS 12 Duo?

...I want as many things as possible to be Dell's problem, not mine.

You're right, its not worth the trouble.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I feel it's about time to post an update with my case.

My original windows 8 xps 12 9q33 model had the same IR everyone else is experiencing. After speaking with xps support i was issued a replacement xps 12 windows 8.1 9q33 model. I was assured everything would be fixed. It wasn't, IR returned 2 weeks later. 

xps support then gave me two options, refund, or another xps 12 replacement. I refused both, and requested an xps 13. I was denied. I then escalated my case to consumer resolutions department. 

2 days later I was contacted by the consumer resolutions department. The rep was not helpful one bit, and was not aware of the problem with the xps12. I was also told that  replacing with an xps 13 was not an option, and get this.....now the offer for a refund was no longer an option. As per the ewarranty term they will only repair my broken xps 12 (over and over and over), and so on.....). The rep was useless and the call quickly became aggressive. I then escalated my case to the executive customer support team.

next day I get a call from Vijay at the executive customer support team. He basically repeated everything the last rep told me. My only option is to have a 3rd replacement computer sent, he swore up and down that this computer will not have the problem. I'm not buying it this time. I fully expect to receive a third broken laptop. 

Dell has refused to offer me a refund, and refused to substitute with a working model other than the xps12. So unfortunately it looks like i will have to suffer with a broken computer until i can afford another.

In the past i have purchased 5 computer from dell: a latitude (can't remember model as it was so long ago), inspiron 15, xpsm1210, xps14z, xps 12.

I will never purchase anything from Dell ever again. This has been a nightmare. 

Somebody needs to get a consumer protection lawyer involved.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Just an update, my replacement "fixed" LCD still hasn't shipped. I'm hoping it's here and replaced by the end of this week but who knows...

For those of you who may not have seen my previous post, I will be receiving what I'm told is a completely new revision of the LCD, I believe the new revision part since my tech has been waiting to replace it until it was ready (about 3 weeks of waiting), but I don't know if this will fix the IR or not. Time shall tell.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010
I, like others, am a forum member and not an employee of Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
director87
6 Indium

@EDDIE1983MAN 

Your story is all too familiar for me. I experienced the same run around 3 weeks ago. I have had my screen changed 4 times along with 3 replacement laptops. I'm currently waiting for this "fixed" LCD to come into production, but at the moment they won’t give me a refund even if I begged for it.

If I can get in writing from tech support that this screen is supposed to be fixed and it isn't, I will gladly look into a consumer protection lawyer. If there is no solution to the screen, I believe class action is a real possibility. I'm a programmer, I didn't spend $1600 for a computer that renders itself inefficient every month.

0 Kudos
Philthy82
6 Indium

To the people asking for a refund who haven't gotten it, keep at it. I was told by Dell they wouldn't be refunding me as IR was not a "known hardware defect" and they would only offer to replace the screen. It took 2 months of politely pushing the issue, but I did eventually get my refund. All I did was:

1. Call support to report the IR issue 
  2. Had a tech person out to diagnose the issue
  3. When it was apparent a screen replacement was needed and they wouldn't have any in stock for 6 weeks, I requested and got a full machine replacement
  4. When the replacement machine began exhibiting IR after a month, I raised another support request. This time I requested a refund as a service call had already been made, and a full machine replacement did not stop this issue from persisting, meaning I had no confidence in another service call or hardware replacement. I made a point that this violated consumer laws regarding a product being "fit for purpose" and a defect being "fixed in a reasonable period of time"
  5. Was told by Dell support that my request for refund had been denied. I asked to escalate my case
  6. It took about 4 weeks of badgering the Dell support person before she gave me the escalations team email and told me to write them. This was after many promises of getting her supervisor to call me which never came, but I persisted on following up with her.
  7. I wrote the escalation team restating my case and the consumer laws I believed had been violated. 
  8. Got the standard reply back "we are happy to organise repair".
  9. Wrote back restating why I wasn't happy with a repair, referring to consumer law etc etc.
  10. No reply for a while so I wrote to the escalations rep asking for an update, also left a polite message on his work answering machine requesting an update.
  11. A few days later out of nowhere, I get an email reply saying a refund is being arranged.

This was approximately 5 months after I took delivery of my original XPS12. So if you're in the same situation as me, there's no reason you can't reach the same outcome - you just need to be politely persistent

Australian/NZ escalations team email: ANZ_Consumer_Escalations@dell.com (probably not worth using if you're outside Australian/NZ)

My support case # if you want to mention it to them as a precedent:<ADMIN NOTE: Case number removed as per privacy policy>

Be prepared, it took another 4 weeks of chasing them up before the money actually reached my account.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Well, I have a new reason to look forward to an eventual screen replacement; tonight (three weeks after receiving my 9Q33), I am noticing very slight, almost imperceptible fluctuations in the backlight brightness.

This is not sensor-based adaptive brightness; I've had that disabled from day 1. (I'm not actually certain it's possible to enable it on the 9Q33, but I think I had to turn it off on my 9Q23.)

This is not software-based adaptive brightness, a setting in the Intel graphics driver to save power when on battery by reducing the backlight when the onscreen image doesn't require as much light according to whatever algorithm it uses. I've had that disabled from day 2. (It took me longer to find that one, since I'm pretty sure it wasn't on the 9Q23.)

This is not something that's been there all along at this level. This is something that started tonight. (I'm on battery, but I've spent most of my time on battery.)

This is not my imagination, or a misinterpretation of subtle variations in ambient light or reflections from the screen: I'm writing this in total darkness and am still seeing the effect. I was noticing it on minimum brightness, and now I've changed the brightness to maximum, and while the fluctuations seem proportionally smaller, I'm fairly certain I'm still seeing them (but I've had much less time to look and convince myself).

This has me fearing that the LED backlight itself is on the fritz and may die prematurely-- a legitimate hardware failure of the type that would be covered under warranty (if I still had any warranty left), and a problem which any one of us would consider isolated to this unit, and would actually expect a replacement panel to solve.

While I don't think that this backlight fluctuation is directly related to the image retention we've all come to know and love, it would be interesting to hear if anyone else has noticed such an effect and can confidently rule out deliberate action on the part of the computer. My panel's hardware ID is LGD03FD.

0 Kudos
harperj
6 Indium

I've had an XPS 12 since July and have known about the IR for the last few months.  Tonight I finally decided to go thru the process of talking to Dell Support (been avoiding this).  After 2 hours on the phone and all kinds of fiddling with the brightness, drivers, gamma, contrast etc and a bunch of pictures to tech support (they don't see anything wrong when they remote in) they decided to send a tech out to replace the graphics card.  I wanted to explain that there isn't a "graphics card" in this computer and that the GPU isn't the problem, but didn't figure it would get me anywhere.  

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Oh, now that's just depressing. Two hours on the phone and they still don't get it? Here I thought that support would at least have some familiarity with the issue, even if their "solutions" are ineffective. You might want to try a chat session next time, where you can at least point them to this thread and let them read and re-read what you wrote, instead of hearing what they think you said.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Well, I have a new reason to look forward to an eventual screen replacement; tonight (three weeks after receiving my 9Q33), I am noticing very slight, almost imperceptible fluctuations in the backlight brightness.

This is not sensor-based adaptive brightness; I've had that disabled from day 1. (I'm not actually certain it's possible to enable it on the 9Q33, but I think I had to turn it off on my 9Q23.)

This is not software-based adaptive brightness, a setting in the Intel graphics driver to save power when on battery by reducing the backlight when the onscreen image doesn't require as much light according to whatever algorithm it uses. I've had that disabled from day 2. (It took me longer to find that one, since I'm pretty sure it wasn't on the 9Q23.)

This is not something that's been there all along at this level. This is something that started tonight. (I'm on battery, but I've spent most of my time on battery.)

This is not my imagination, or a misinterpretation of subtle variations in ambient light or reflections from the screen: I'm writing this in total darkness and am still seeing the effect. I was noticing it on minimum brightness, and now I've changed the brightness to maximum, and while the fluctuations seem proportionally smaller, I'm fairly certain I'm still seeing them (but I've had much less time to look and convince myself).

This has me fearing that the LED backlight itself is on the fritz and may die prematurely-- a legitimate hardware failure of the type that would be covered under warranty (if I still had any warranty left), and a problem which any one of us would consider isolated to this unit, and would actually expect a replacement panel to solve.

While I don't think that this backlight fluctuation is directly related to the image retention we've all come to know and love, it would be interesting to hear if anyone else has noticed such an effect and can confidently rule out deliberate action on the part of the computer. My panel's hardware ID is LGD03FD.

ST380021a, are you referring to sort of a screen flicker?  I had that too on my 9Q33 replacement.  There is actually a bios update that will fix that, and I've confirmed that the flickering stopped after the update.  If its not flickering, then disregard my response.  🙂

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

My LCD is going to be replaced with the "new revision" of the LCD that is supposed to fix the IR issue. I will let you guys know what the hardware information is on that LCD. The tech will replace the screen on Friday. Hopefully they ship the correct panel and that IR is permanently fixed.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010
I, like others, am a forum member and not an employee of Dell

0 Kudos