Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 3rd, 2016 04:00

XPS 12 Motherboard change

Dear all,

I am an XPS 12 9q23 owner/user since 2013, and i was wondering the possibility of changing the motherboard to a 9q33 type (i7, 8GB RAM), i need the extra RAM and processing power, and what do I need to consider if this upgrade is possible

Any kind of help is appreciated

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 3rd, 2016 04:00

It does not appear the boards interchange despite the similarity on the outside of the system.   Further, used 9q33 systems on EBay are going for not much more than mainboards alone - if you want the upgrade (which would be a modest one at best) you may be better off with a complete system.

10 Posts

April 3rd, 2016 19:00

Oh I see, so i cannot, for example, keep the lcd, keyboard, battery, and so forth and just change the mainboard including the process and RAM (soldered) I was thinking of having a cheap upgrade instead of changing the whole machine, but apparently that's not the best idea Thanks for the help

December 23rd, 2016 05:00

ejn63, it looks like you've learned something since en.community.dell.com/.../19489880 and have discovered even the motherboards are not upgradeable? Have you tried it? Has Dell said as much or have it documented anywhere? Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 09:00

Since the 9Q33 didn't exist when the documentation for the 9Q23 was made, there won't be any confirmation or denial.  If you look at the big Dell parts sellers, they do not list the 9Q33 board as working in the 9Q23 chassis.

Though the two systems share a similar chassis, it's very possible the manufacturer made small changes that don't allow a board retrofit.

No Events found!