mariko57
2 Iron

XPS 1210 does not start

I have a 2 year old XPS M1210 laptop that suddenly does not start up. The blue led on the power button is lit. The green status power button is lit. But the monitor is blank. If I put my ear to the laptop, I do hear a sound, but it is not the fan. (Same thing if I push the Media Center button: blue led is lit as well as the green status power button.) If I put a CD in the optical drive, there is a whirling sound for about 10 seconds and then it stops.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

ps. One day before this problem, the computer froze twice while on. The Control-Alt-Delete trick did not bring up the Task Manager and I had to pull the plug and the battery to shut the computer down.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
8 Xenon

Re: XPS 1210 does not start

Reseat the memory modules - remove and reinstall.  Verify that the LED on the power adapter is ON before you plug in the notebook end. If it's not, replace the adapter with a new one.  If the foregoing does nothing, you've a bad mainboard.

0 Kudos
mariko57
2 Iron

Thank you - I will attempt this tonight. Could the problem also be a faulty memory module? If yes, how would I distinguish that from a faulty motherboard? Would the best option be to just replace the memory modules?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
mariko57
2 Iron

OK, I reset the memory modules. In fact, because I had two, I inserted them one by one to see if one of them was the problem. But I'm still having the same problem. Is it worth replacing the motherboard? I looked at the instructions for how to access the laptop motherboard and it's a little daunting.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Given that the board will run you about $400, another $100 or so to have a shop do it won't boost the cost that much.

0 Kudos
sampa64
2 Bronze

It could possibly be your video card, Sam

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

On this model, there is no video card - the video chip is part of the mainboard.  If the chip fails, the board must be replaced.

0 Kudos