Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2015 09:00

XPS 13 2015 Poor WiFi Signal.

I just purchased this laptop yesterday and I'm unsure why I'm receiving such terrible signals and receiving poor signal at my girlfriend's house as well. I'm getting two - three bars on my home network that is one room away from me.

1 Message

September 17th, 2015 14:00

Same issue, i have a brand new dell xps 13 i7 and cannot got wifi signal in my room when my 7 year old sony laptop has near full reception! This is my second dell xps13 in 1 month and still the exact same problem. I thought Dell was supposed to be a premium brand....? Why are so many people having wifi issues with their new laptops in this day and age?!

In addition, I cannot seem to connect the laptop to an external monitor with an hdmi lead and mini display port adaptor. Again second xps and still the exact same problems.

Does anyone at Dell know the answer to this or am I going to have to return this one for good?

6 Posts

September 21st, 2015 10:00

I had the same problem. Weak wifi signal in places where my old laptop had full bars. Then when I upgraded to windows 10 it got even worse, weak signal plus dropping the signal completely ever few minutes.

After complaining to Dell they finally determined that my wifi card was the problem and sent  someone to switch it out for me. I asked them if they would be replacing my dell wireless card with an Intel one, which I read some people had swapped for with good results, they said yes they would be replacing with Intel card. Then the tech shows up at my house with the same dell wireless card I already have. He swaps it out and of course, no improvement. Then he tries replacing the antenna, which is done by replacing the ENTIRE SCREEN. No improvement, but hey I got a clean screen out of it.

So then I took matters into my own hands, went on Amazon and ordered the Intel Dual Band 2 7265NGW wireless card for $30. It arrived in a few days, I swapped it out and my wifi signal immediately improved. So my problem seems to be resolved. I recommend that everyone try this fix. What amazes me is that Dell is unable to either recognize or admit that there is a fault with their wireless card. So much time and money could be saved by just replacing this one tiny card.  

September 21st, 2015 19:00

I am having the same problem and I am asking Dell to arrive with an Intel card in hand.  Would you say that installing the new card fixed your problem 100%?  Thanks. 

6 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 10:00

Yes, frustratedxpsowner I would say it's 100% fixed. It's only been 2 days, but so far no dropped signals and full wifi bars everywhere that I expect them at home and work. You might want to really hassle Dell to bring Intel card. I asked them once over the phone if they were bringing "intel card or  dell wireless card" and they said "Intel" and that was it. Then they showed up with dell wireless.

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 17:00

I'm glad yours is fixed! I should have just called them, but I went through the trouble of rerouting my whole entire normal wireless setup, moved the office to a different room, and redecorated everything for this *** signal to be in same room or next room.  But I still want better reception so I will be calling them to swap out the card to the Intel one.  Thanks!

2 Posts

September 24th, 2015 08:00

I am a frustrated new owner of Dell XPS 13 with windows 10. My WiFi connection failed all the time not because of signal but network adapter problem as reported by self diagnistics. PleaSe reply to beveryip@gmail.com 24 September

1 Message

September 25th, 2015 10:00

I'll join the complaint list too;  I had my XPS for 6 weeks and noticed within 2 days the WiFi connection gave me great concern.  Now, after rebooting several times a day to reconnect I decided to search and I found all these owners with the same issue at the top of my search list.

I need a fix to the problem too as all my Apple devices are 100x better on all WiFi networks.

What will Dell do for me (I bought mine direct from Dell)

1 Message

September 26th, 2015 09:00

Please tell me, are you talking about the new xps 13, because I have de the same problem in my xps 13 2015.

Thanks,

Marcelo.-

please tell me, are you talking about the new xps 13, because I have de the same problem in my xps 13 2015.
Thanks,Marcelo.-

2 Posts

Dell XPS 13 2015

My WiFi connection remains unsolved. Failed me since I bought it new few weeks ago. So expansive and yet, XPS 13 cannot match simple Acer laptop.

5 Posts

I requested an intel card swap citing this thread to india dell service

instead they sent me this. For their sake  i tried each one and send them result , which was NO change in performance

1.Please confirm the wifi driver file name which is installed in this system ?.

2.Please check the wifi network connectivity in windows safe mode with networking options.

-To enter into window advanced options i.e. Safemode with Networking option

-restart the system and keep pressing F8 at Dell logo and choose Safemode with networking option – and observe the system.

3.Please disable the powersaving option for wifi adaptor – please follow the below instruction. 

-You can use Device Manager to change the power management settings for a network adapter. To disable this setting in Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, right-click the adapter, click Properties, click the Power Management tab, and then clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.

4.Please update the BIOS to latest version and latest wifi driver and observe the system:-          

1. Please check this link: Dell BIOS: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=YMRTD&fileId=3475161158&osCode=W764&productCode=xps-13-9343-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=BI

2. Broadcom Wireless- DW1560: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=6W3TG&fileId=3482386318&osCode=W764&productCode=xps-13-9343-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

5. Please choose troubleshooter option on wifi network – windows automatically check for errors and fix the issue.

--to select troubleshooter option  - right click on the wifi network and choose troubleshoot problems.

6.Please use this command in command prompt: NETSH WINSOCK RESET AL

5 Posts

September 26th, 2015 10:00

mine is 2015 xps13 i7 5500u 8gb touch screen with 4k display. so i guess the problem is in both trims

could you please post an amazon link to that intel card

6 Posts

September 26th, 2015 10:00

I can't believe Dell made you try all these BiOS and driver fixes. It seems to me that they just can't admit that their wireless card is ***. I've had my Intel wireless card installed for about a week and am now finally loving this little laptop. FYI mine is 2015 XPS 13, core i5, 8 gb ram, 256 ssd, non-touch display. I'd be curious if this problem is occurring on certain trim levels and not others.

Do yourselves a favor and just pay the $30 for the intel card. That's what I did, as I mentioned earlier. Installation is easy:  remove back cover (8 torx screws and 1 phillips under flap), unplug battery, remove wireless card bracket (1 phillips screw), swap out card and reconnect two little antennae wires. The intel card works right on the first start up with native windows driver.

Dell might eventually get this problem fixed with a driver update or perhaps finally start shipping out better wireless cards to customers, but I wasn't going to wait around for that to happen.

6 Posts

September 26th, 2015 11:00

Yep guess so.. 

I bought mine back in April with windows 8.1, wifi was always weaker than  other laptops but not horrible, then when I upgraded to windows 10 the wifi perfomance became awful.

Here's the intel card i bought. Good luck.

www.amazon.com/.../B00TKO47XI

1 Message

September 28th, 2015 10:00

My configuration: Dell XPS 13 9343, initially WiFi board Broadcom 1560, Windows 10 x64 (upgraded from 8.1).

Very poor WiFi. I compared the 2.4 GHz WiFi signal, as seen by inSSIDer 3, with an Asus Zenbook. The levels are approximately the same, I can see a 10 dB attenuation when moving the PCs from a table to my lap in both cases, but there are differences: the XPS level is not stable, it toggles between the normal level and -100 dBm every few seconds, whilst the Zenbook level is stable. And not surprisingly, the XPS WiFi stalls frequently, the Zenbook WiFi is OK.

So I uninstalled the WiFi and Bluetooth drivers,replaced the the Broadcom 1560 board by an Intel 7265, and installed the relevant drivers. Now, the WiFi signal is stable, I can walk in the garden without any connection issue, the Bluetooth mouse works as it used to (after re-pairing). However, I have not tested the 5 GHz WiFi, and I am not sure that the new board is a genuine Intel one.

Intel 7265: www.amazon.com/.../B00STV5UKW

5 Posts

September 30th, 2015 04:00

Dell india guys remotely looked into my laptop and declared everything is fine. Apparently having 2 bars while at 15 feet from a router is FINE for Dell. They told me they will not replace it with an Intel card and i have to pay for it. I argued that having to sit within 5 feet to router cannot be classified as "working fine"

My 8 year old Vaio and 4 year old Think pad works perfectly with full signal at the same location

and then he confirmed it with his supervisor that i will have to pay for an " Upgrade" and they will send me a quote for replacing the card

No Events found!